Optimus 99 Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I was at the junk shop today

He had a big box of old stoves...most of which he wanted to keep.

But he let me buy the real prize...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its been used.

How do I light it? I notice it has one of those rings round the neck like primus stoves have. (nothing to pressurise it though)

Can you guess how much it cost me?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/optimus-99-intl-instructions-parts-list.20308/

The stoves self pressurize. Fill the tank with lighter petrol if you have no other clean fuel to hand (about two thirds full), use a bit of meths to prime the stove then when the meths is almost out gently open the control valve. You can prime with lighter fuel but it can get a bit sooty.

Caution: the key gets very hot if you leave it in place when running the stove, I take mine out until the flame needs adjusting or the stove turning off (turn the key clockwise to shut it down, fully anti clockwise operates the built in cleaning needle) LET THE STOVE COOL DOWN BEFORE OPENING THE FILLER CAP.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/optimus-99-intl-instructions-parts-list.20308/

The stoves self pressurize. Fill the tank with lighter petrol if you have no other clean fuel to hand (about two thirds full), use a bit of meths to prime the stove then when the meths is almost out gently open the control valve. You can prime with lighter fuel but it can get a bit sooty.

Caution: the key gets very hot if you leave it in place when running the stove, I take mine out until the flame needs adjusting or the stove turning off (turn the key clockwise to shut it down, fully anti clockwise operates the built in cleaning needle) LET THE STOVE COOL DOWN BEFORE OPENING THE FILLER CAP.

How does the stove self pressurise, Rik? Is it heat from the burner from being close to the tank?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yep Stew, there is a wick in the tank so fuel is at the nipple and as the burner heats up it draws up fuel, the tank gets warmer so the cycle goes on. Its basically a No8 in a different tin, cracking stove and the one Tengu has would fetch between fifty and a hundred on ebay; in that condition I've seen them go for more.

[video=youtube;FJJcay2w_Tk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJJcay2w_Tk[/video]

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I paid £10.

Alas he hasnt anything else as interesting, mostly a load of East Europe and Portugese Primus pressure stove copies.

(And what I suspect is one of those big NZ Kelly kettles...But he wont part with that.)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Clear some room in your inbox please tengu. Can't respond

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I paid £10.

Alas he hasnt anything else as interesting, mostly a load of East Europe and Portugese Primus pressure stove copies.

(And what I suspect is one of those big NZ Kelly kettles...But he wont part with that.)

The Hipolito stoves from Portugal are well made and worth getting Tengu.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE