Old and tired axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Dear all,

I am planning a re-run of the Forester's Badge with my Scouts in the next few months and part of that will be learning to repair bilhooks/axes etc.

If anyone has a tired old axe that needs rehafting or a hook that has seen better days that you would donate/send for the price of post/sell at a nominal amount, please do drop me a pm.

I'm NOT after the Gransfors and Wetterlings of this world but the 'sat in the back of the garden shed lost and alone probably never to be used again' type of tool. Rust I can deal with before the Scouts start sharpening and rehandling.

Cheers all

K

ps I guarantee any donated will not appear for sale. They will be recycled and reused by the Scouts :thankyou:

Last edited:

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
Are you interested in a small Kent pattern head ? the handle has a couple of worm holes so would be iffy to use for scouts as is, but if you want to try rehandling a traditional axe I can send it on. PM me if you want it and where you want it sent.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Just a little update to this thread (after a busy month at work) so you all know this hasn't gone quiet.

A VERY BIG thank you to veryWildBill who has sent me two axe heads free of charge for the Scouts to work on - very generous and appreciated:You_Rock_

The Forester badge has been put on the programme with the Scouts and they are working on the basic skills and handling the axes after the Christmas break (I didn't want to leave it until then before saying thanks). I am getting parental permission for some photos.

Any further donations are still appreciated.

k:camping:

Last edited:

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Time flies..but a bit of an update for you all and especially the three members who kindly donated the axe heads.

The Foresters badge got a bit delayed because of my work, but we have started now. The patrol leaders have been trained up in safe axe use and last week were teaching it to the younger Scouts at the local campsite.

The axe heads - cleaned and sharpened by the patrol leaders on our Friday meetings over the past few months. Just waiting for new handles now. I will post some completed pics when they are done (might be after summer hols).

Thanks again for the donations.

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE