Norway temperatures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just been looking at temperatures in Geilo ski resort and it was - 10°C at 1pm. Is this normal this time if the year or a bit low?

I'm off end of December to ski there and if it's that cold now I'm worried I'll not have warm enough kit.

If anyone knows from experience of typical temperatures at the ski resort at geilo.

BTW there's a geilo nearer the coast this one is inland in the hills and a lot colder.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The Norwegian weather forecast tells you it will get warmer, even above freezing, for the next week.

Do not worry, if you get very cold, you just buy some more clothes in Geilo....

If you are lucky, it will get colder than -10 at end of December. Unfortunately, it can get warmer too.

The worst for you is just above ( warmer) than 0.

Where is the 'other' Geilo?

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just been looking at Scandinavian clothing. Didriksons, amundsens, Dale and fjallraven. Lot of stuff I now like. I'm not a green wearing person more blue but having been convinced to get a green buffalo shirt I've got used to it. Now I'm looking at fleeces, parkas, coats, beanies, etc. All in sober green.

There's some nice 100% wool shirts. All so very expensive. I can't justify nearly £200 on a wool shirt, fleece or wool jacket. And definitely not over £200 on a wool jumper.

Are Scandinavian brands any cheaper in Scandinavian countries? Will I get something from bergans, Dale or fjallraven cheaper in Norway (not all Norwegian brands of course). Any good shops in Geilo for good, warm clothes for skiing, hanging around, looking around the area and other activities?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
That is an US weather site, and it may explain why they place a Geilo close to Voss.
( as in Voss the expensive water in a designer bottle)
I am unable to find a such place.

Better you use a proper weather site for Norway, like
www.yr.no

yes you can buy cheaper clothes, just go into a shop that caters for builders and such.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Scandinavian CAN be cheaper, but as the price point is way higher than in UK, generally no. For a start, the VAT is higher. Wages higher. Taxes higher. Food prices (much) higher.
Alcohol much, much higher.

Remember, Norway is outside the EU zone, so the trade bit is not as beneficial as within the EU zone.
Soon, you will see for yourself!
:)

Alcohol ( any, including beer)
BYO. Taxfree section in Gardemoen is a good source for the tipple!.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, the same weather site I recommended. It is very, very accurate, we trust it with our lives.

I would look into the weather history. This year is predicted to be a colder than normal winter in Southern Sweden, but warmer / drier in Denmark.
Only the Gods know what weather they will throw at us!

I think he does take the recommendations into consideration, and takes his own decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul_B

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
But I would love to know what the ‘other Geilo’ is. Not on my Norwegian map here at home!
But a town call Uskedal.
I have no idea. Someone either on this site or another posted this interesting website for weather (iirc someone said it was created by some Latvians based on a fairly reliable met source). I did a search for geilo and I thought it strange that the location shown was near the coast. A day later the same search showed two Geilo locations but only one seemed right. It's also a lot colder one.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The ‘ real’ Geilo is in the mountains, so will be colder, much colder than anything on the coast.
As you might know, I go to the Lofoten Islands regularly. It is above the Arctic Circle.
But even mid winter it might get down to -5, maybe, maybe -10.
In Hardangervidda, basically where Geilo is, -10 is nothing.
You will love it!

But take my advice, look on the Norwegian weather forecast.
The other agencies/ sites take their data and interpret it themselves.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Paul, I would also recommend you take a summer vacation in that area. In the eastern part, it is more scenic and dryer.
Plenty of easy tracks. Perfect for wife and 7 year old daughter. Dog too if you vaccinate?
I started ‘breaking in’ my son bushwise at age 4. Age 6 full on Arctic winter fishing.
Did him no harm!

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
The ‘ real’ Geilo is in the mountains, so will be colder, much colder than anything on the coast.
Numbers might say it is colder but because of drier air in the mountains it will not feel as cold as on the coast where air is more humid.
I live on the west coast of Finland, I have expereinced this myself on ski trips to Lapland.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Moderator note.
Just removed seven posts from this thread, either because they were unnecessary and argumentative, not adding to the value of the thread, or where replies to those posts.
Don't participate if all you have to add is negative.

Chris

Reactions: Janne and Paul_B

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Numbers might say it is colder but because of drier air in the mountains it will not feel as cold as on the coast where air is more humid.
This was exactly what I was going to say. Insulating clothing works much better with the lower temperature and dry air than we in damp Britain generally expect. In Canada, at -16C (no wind) I was very comfortable in long sleeve wool top, light wool jumper, well worn P200 fleece and a cotton un-insulated smock. In the UK this amount of insulation is what I might wear under my Paramo Alta at -4C, and still feel cool.

If you are skiing then you really must factor in wind. If you are walking around a lot, you want to start off cool, maybe even slightly uncomfortably cool, so that as you exercise you move to "comfortably cool" which should prevent you from sweating much. Standing around is time to break out a down or puffy top.

As for prices, buy in the UK. I was in Sweden a few years back and went to a big outdoor shop in Gottenburg thinking I would get good deals on some Fjallraven and Aklima, and it was more expensive than in the UK.

Don't go all green! Mix things up a bit, you can keep an earth tone without all matching like an OG Man. :D

Chris

Reactions: Paul_B

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Agree with the start cool for walking. That's something I learnt in the Lakeland winters. Prevent sweat is better than coping with it after it's created.

So I often walked in sub zero conditions having set off in a helly hansen prowool base layer and a rab vapour rise jacket. Plus good hat and a windproof buff or two normal buffs layered up. I wore a down or synthetic layer over it while getting boots on and waiting for the group to assemble. Then that layer got dumped in the car (another one in the sack already so I didn't have to mess with putting it in the sack and cooling off). You're probably cold for the first 5 to 10 minutes but the right temperature when moving. Open up your jacket on the steeper bits when working hardest then zip up tight when not.

I'm good with temperature control when I'm at a location I know. Geilo is somewhere I don't know. I really have no experience of truly dry, mountain cold like I'm expecting.

As a result I'm thinking kit isn't right. I want to b enjoy skiing and being there. That means layering up and overkill on kit until I know what it's like. I'll take a lot of what I have then use what's right once I know what it's like.

The other thing is I don't know what exertion levels a complete beginner at skiing has. I've been told you get hot with all that falling over and getting back up. Also I'm not sure carrying a rucksack while learning to ski so you can carry extra layers in case you're cold or too carry layers taken off.

This is my proposed kit. Insulated ski trousers, long johns in merino or HH expedition weight (all I've got) possibly montane terras too. Merino or HH prowool base layer top, haglofs barrier II gilet, barrier III hoodless jacket, rab vapour rise jacket (might not use).

Usual thick socks for cold, extremities inferno mitts (primaloft warmth that's seen me sweating in them at a recorded - 13°C on top of helvellyn 5 minutes after the fell top assessor was there), some very good mountaineering gloves that aren't as warm and selected liner gloves.

I'm wondering about my new buffalo special 6 shirt too. It does not fit too well.

I also need a warmer ski jacket or something from walking sector that'll work as well. My waterproof is a mountaineering type so too short and actually a bit too snug to go over cold layers. It was bought for UK use where if I'm wearing bulky layers for warmth then it's probably too cold to get wet from rain as it'll be dry snow (yes we get good winter days occasionally if you walk a lot in the lakes). I only really wear it over the thin vapour rise jacket which copes with up to a bit below zero say - 5°C.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sorry for long post.

Anyway I also have a light line smock from ME which is probably 300+g of 700 fp down possibly more in a smock (less as I use it because it's leaking). I know the manufacturer claimed good to - 10C when I got it.

I'm wondering if base layer, fleece and insulated ski jacket is a good option. Or can I get away with a synthetic jacket over base layer and get a larger waterproof to n go over the top?

I can't remember what - 10°C feels like now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE