Norway, Scenery, snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Following on from my other thread regards my Nordic survival course, i tought i'd bung some pic's of the scenery up.Not all pics taken by me, but on the same crew.
DSC00244.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

Norway027.jpg

Fagerness
Norway028.jpg

our little camp.
Norway060.jpg

Looks like iceing sugar.
Norway078.jpg

lift home.
Norway090.jpg

temp about to plummet.
102_0279-1.jpg

your waiting for a bus, then ........along comes a lovely heated BV bonus!
103_0326-1.jpg

Can you guess what this tree was used as?
NSCButtler47.jpg

Sqn skid pan.oh yeah!
Norway022.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Southey.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cheers guys, it was one of the best time I have every had, the area was great, Fagerness is a lovely little town with some great outdoors shops(an ullfotte and Fjallraven factory outlet!!) and a few traditional crafts shops, it's airport is leira which is just up the road. the place we stayed at was run by a couple, Stig and Anita and they were like mum and dad for us all, they couldn't do enough, we had a three day nordic sports comp axe throwing, cross country skiing around the miles of gromed loupe track followed by shooting, and a few other that ended in drunken man tests in the snow(chilly). I love the country, we are in the planning stages of either moving there or to Portland, Oregon(family) in ten to fifteen years time.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
cheers Puub, I learnt a good lesson about removing layers before doing hard work that night, after building the quinzy, while guffing about out side sorting out the admin area after tea, temp dropped and my mittens went stiff due to being damp on the outside which was pretty cool, then noticed the whole area wround my midriff stiffen and get very cold very quick, had to pull out my spare kit and change there and then, -27 and me stood in my pants! looking at my clothes after, the folds of my smock around my belt area held held the moisture as nowhere else was wet but, the bottom inside of my smock, my trousers under my belt and my thermals were frozen solid.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Lovely pics. I'm assuming that this was a Forces trip!
How about sharing with us a critique of your kit and how it stood up to the conditions - what you'd change in future, and what would be a good buy for us from Army surplus etc? Thanks in advance!

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cheers chaps, as for kit, all the issue kit was very good, I have no issues with recomending it, For the most part I was wearing arctic smock,jumper heavy wool, norgie,thermals on the top half with thermals and normal cs95 trousers with arctic whites over the top for the training, alico boots on my feet with two pairs of issue wool socks, the white ones there are two kinds one has a red thread around the top and you wear these on the inside the boots were pretty cold if you were stood still for any length of time, but this wasnt really a problem on our course, pussers planks for skis they are heavy but sturdy and stable, i would not recomend the snow shoes, they were ok but evey other pair in existance woyuld be better,

civvie clothes wise, i just kicked about in a buffalo with an ulffrotte 200g top under neath uptill the evening the i had a big rab parker to wear when the temp dropped, with proboots on me feet, very comfy as they are insulated and water proof they were great for non ski days with a single pair of socks on,

for the load carry kit, it was all the standard bergan,ni pack and webbing which all did as it should,

issue sleeping bag+bivi is great at these temps down to 35 below some nights, sleeping out in the open it is comfy in just your thermals, but getting dressed is a skill,

we had a pocket kit order that ill se if i can dig out the note book from the ex as its all in there,

Ill have a hunt round the surplus sites to find the kit if its there and post up the links so you can see the kit we took, if that helps,

Southey

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE