Norway and bust

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Just got back from my trip to northern Norway's Setermoen area, was supposed to be away for 2 weeks but to be honest the cold and constant snow that i hoped i would miss came in with avengence and kicked my v cold bottom into touch, causing a very long and cold walk out too civilisation. The scenery was fantastic and the people very friendly and helpfull. The fishing was appaling, not helped by the very cold weather arriving with me. Feel the ice drift pass your waders :11doh:
I'll do a kit review in the kit chatter but i think the photo's would be better here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15287361@N04/1601120003/
You should be able to flick through my album from this link, if someone could let me know :)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great pics fella! Yes no probs seeing them all.
How'd you get on with the hammock with the cold?
Is that the home made underbalnket?
I love snow. D

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
No under blanket, just a 3/4 thermarest which turned out to be rather cold, using a down bag made it very noticable when your feet (or anything) touched the outer fabric of the hammock as it caused 4 layers of pertex to be the only insulation between foot and cold mountain air :rolleyes:
This really was as cold as i would want to use a hammock, i'd rather bivi in a snow grave or use a tent for this kind of thing. Point being i was rather hoping to get in and out before the snow arrived, but stupidly delayed my departure by 3 weeks as a favour to a work mate, never mind!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It`s a shame it was too cold for you, it looks an awsome place.

Did you get to have a night in the Lavvu and get warmed up ??

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Unfortunatly not, broke camp in the morning and found it about 30 mins later, grrrrr :rolleyes: Tempting for sure.......

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
That looks like wonderful country. I think you have reached the limit of sensible hammocking in weather like that no where to defrost yourself. Ive felt wind off snow covered hills in Scotland when stalking and wildfowling I guess that it was a few degrees cooler where you were.

Liked the TP was their anyone home?I guess you will be planing to go back a bit earlier next time.

Pothunter.

Da. Just read Shewie's post and had my question answered!

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Hi.
Hope you had a great stay even if the weather was a bit on the wrong side.
This year the first snow came late. You could actually got snow even if you came three weeks earlier:) . One never knows.
Great pics. Were did you camp? East of Setermoen?

Tor Helge

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Started in Setermoen, then gradually fished and camped my way back to Bardufoss, nasty slog to finish at the airport it must be said :(
Rekon a few weeks later and it would have been snow hole time :naughty:

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Thanks, no photographer for sure :lmao:
Will defo return, maybe in the spring and slightly further south, then again Sweden looks just as good!? Although saying that if you book early canada's pretty cheap to get too, hmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Sep 2, 2007
Oh man! That made me so home sick!!! :D I love that time of the year in Scandinavia... snow on the ground but not "real winter" yet. You can actually do a lot of things still that you can't when the winter really sinks in and it will be 30 below. I rather have that any time than rain and snowless ground in fall. When the snow comes it's always twice lighter even during the night... looks great to me!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Lucky you didn't have to do this! Your pics bring back fond memories of the five full winters I spent over there.

100_0942.jpg

100_0949.jpg

100_0943.jpg

Your a braver man than me using a hammock in that weather!
Better luck with your next trip fella!

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Thanks for the comments about the photo's, photography isnt one of my skill's but stealing the good ladys camera for the trip helped :lmao:
It's true that snow is easier to deal with than rain, but having geared up for the wetstuff rather than the white caused a few problems, but it's all good as they say..
As for Greg's photo's i thought the locals did that everyday by choice? they do in Denmark anyway :D
I'll start a review asap of all the kit that people may find usefull, i'll drop a link here when it's done.
Just got back from the woods and i must say, fire in under 30 seconds with char cloth and twigs, just a dream in Norway :eek:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great pictures, but I have to ask why on earth you did not take a tent, if hammocks were any good in winter, surely the locals would use them instead of great big, warm, tents? Like your billy cans by the way:)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Until last night i hadn't spent a night on the floor for over a year (sober anyway) and the weather up until i arrived was looking good, also i love my hammock and thought i'd give it a proper testing out for you guy's and gal's :11doh:
Those mess tin's are cheapo aluminium job's and are excellent, only had the medium size one with me but gave the smaller 14cm job a go last night, the bigguns still not been used yet ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE