Norrona recon jacket ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Hi all,

What to buy what to buy ! I think I have fallen in love with the Norrona recon jacket, the cheapest I can find it is £295. Does anyone have one and can recommend it? I am mightily worried about spending so much and being scared of entering a bush for fear of putting a rip down the thing, which kinda defeats the wholep oint :p

Or any other recommendations of gortex waterproof jackets please :)

Booooooooshpig

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Here is a link for the jacket, and currently the ebst price I've found:

http://www.oipolloi.com/oipolloi/shop/item.php?itemno=292&name=Norrona-Recon-Jacket-Green#

I googled the jacket and came across an old BCUK thread about it, all ggood things said however someone commented on it being quite heavy and that they'd go lighter for UK. My use will be UK mainly, so i am wondering now :p Any other suggestions for a good UK gortex jacket ?

Boooshpig

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have one, it is heavier than most of the performance jackets out there, but then it is fairly tough and has lots of pockets :)

When I'm saving weight on longer expeditions I use Buffalo tops, which don't keep the rain out but do keep you warm and well ventilated...

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/lsthumbs.htm

I used the Teclight shirt when walking the West Highland Way during a very wet November, kept me warm and comfy all the way.

:)

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
That's a very expensive Goretex jacket! As well as ripping it bear in mind the risk of putting burn holes in it if you're planning on any open fires.....

Having said that most garments which are not subject to these vagaries will likely be relatively heavier. I recently got a Rab Lofoten, primarily because I still wanted low weight and a bum length jacket with hand pockets, and it was the closest I could find to the old Lowe Alpine Foraker which was a classic....

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
I could always insure it :p Hmmm I'm not fussed about the price ( im not rich but dont often get myself anything and happy to treat myself with some bday money i have received ) but im more concerned with it being to muich of a heavy jacket. I have seen the berghaus paclites which seem alot more lightweight, but then I guess you lose out on the hard waring aspect.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I have a Norrona Recon and it serves me well. I mainly bought it to use when walking in wet windy exposed places. Its well made, tough and completely waterproof. It also has a lot of pockets, but it is quite heavy.

I got lucky on eBay and got one second hand for £162 - I think it had been worn on the football terrace once or twice and that was about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE