nintendo wii

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i know this isnt bushcraft but these as some of you know wii,s are rarer than rocking horse poo,using my skills i have tracked nintendo wii,s down pm me for details.im not selling these i just know a shop that has some in stock

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
How do they differ from the X-boxes and things of that ilk? I have little experience
with them.

Is it possible to hire these devices? They do sound fun, though insanely expensive.

In the old days of DVD players it used to be possible to hire them from video shops
so that you could watch films on DVDs before the DVD players became cheaper
and more purchased.

I've seen children's games for PS2 and X-box and that sort of thing at around the
£20 plus mark which strikes me as loopy - that must be a long save-up of pocket
money!!

I had no idea that Wii's were rare (the Wii must be in the top five for silliest ever
product names and that's including Cillit Bang).

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
at the minute people are going mad for them games are 39.99 but the differnece is you actually move to play the game when u punch kick you do it on the screen .you can play different sports on em .i havent played on one,but i have bought one today for my kids xmas pressie ,people have been paying over the odds 4 em on e bay

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
The main difference with the Nintendo WII it is aimed more at the family and non-hardcore gaming market and the interface which is more interactive. With the WII you actually get up out of your chair when you play with it. The WII is cheaper than the PS3 & Xbox at normal street prices, the shortage is mostly because Nintendo can't produce them fast enough, the factories can't cope with the demand. Although I'm sure Nintendo expected the WII to sell well it has exceeded everybody's expectations and I believe it now outsells all the other consoles.

Most of the games on the PS and Xbox involve running down corridors shooting everything in sight or they are the "epic" time-consuming involved variety that take too much commitment for the average person who just likes to have a bit of fun playing a game now and then. We all know the stereotype of the lone gamer locked away in his darkened room, sunk back in his chair with half eaten pizzas and lager cans lying at his feet - well those people exist. Okay I know other more casual games like Singstar exist but the target audience is the Halo 3, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty crowd.

Nintendo have tried to target more casual gamers who just want to have a bit of fun or younger gamers who's parents object to games that reward your for shooting, stealing and killing. You can even get a bit of exercise while you play some of the games on a WII; okay so it's not a lot but it's better than none.

So it seems that Nintendo's marketing strategy has paid off for them.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I've got a PS3 and a wii, and there is a marked difference between the games. PS3 ones are very nice, look good, surround audio etc. but some of the gameplay is a bit flat. Wii ones are still the only games that have me laugh (raving rabbits) - it's another level of immersion that the wii controller gives you I think that makes the difference.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I got a Wii for my birthday the other month, yes my 35th birthday!

The kids love and yes there is a marked difference, however, don't be fooled there are also some of the nasties available on the Wii.

I hve quite enjoyed single handedly winning World War II in Call of Duty 3, Loads of waving around my Tommy Gun! :D

It is my only none outdoor bad habbit, I'm afraid. Although it nearly went out of the window yesterday when I lost my pro status in tennis.

Pib

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
aw cute!! a games conversation on the bushcraft forum!! (i have been involved in games dev for a few years, and study it in college) its bit like watching the guys in college talk about ....anything NOT games related. put it to you this way, i am the jock of the class. skinny, long haired me! i think i am also the only one who has lost my virginity. they are.....special.....lads. lol. very focused. :)

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
not really a games discussion.i started this thread to help out people who were struggling to get hold of a wii for xmas.so theyre kids aint disappointed xmas morning,thought i was doing people a favour

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
A favour indeed h2o - these things are rarer than the absynian wire haired tripe hound!

On another note, Lucasarts are developing a Star Wars game for the Wii which will have us swinging that controller like a genuine Jedi Knight!

Am I excited?! You betcha!

Dr O

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Dr Onion

Have you seen yo can actually get a light saber attachment for your Wii wand!

I'm truly excited!

Right get me out in the woods before I turn truly nerdy!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
If anyone is still looking to get one, keep an eye on the likes of Argos and John Lewis for some fairly reasonable packages (compared to the ebay price of a console only). Some shops are packaging the consoles with a few poor games for extortionate prices.

Is anyone trying to get one for Christmas? I have some further tips that may be useful.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
when I was doing a DR test a couple of weeks ago, there is a reseller warehouse across the road where I picked up my PS3, brand new for 100 off retail price - unopened box. Should have picked up a couple of wii's, they usually have 5-8 in per day. or 2 xbox 360's for 180 quid!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
when I was doing a DR test a couple of weeks ago, there is a reseller warehouse across the road where I picked up my PS3, brand new for 100 off retail price - unopened box. Should have picked up a couple of wii's, they usually have 5-8 in per day. or 2 xbox 360's for 180 quid!

Don`t suppose you happen to remember the name of this warehouse do you Dave ?? My original xbox is on its` last legs so I was going to treat myself to a 360.

Rich

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Your right there, but I have one now:p ! Got mine from Woolworths.:D

Me Mum managed to find one on ebay, the seller was close so we picked it up, £220 it cost, he even had the cheek to give us the original receipt for £179.99 :cussing: but she wanted my Bro's to have a good Christmas and in London where i live these things are so rare so it was money well spent, i bought the games though and that cost me over £100 :rolleyes: luckily i bought ones i will enjoy as well :D

People want these things so badly and for their kids to have a good Chrimbo that they are willing to pay over £300 just for the pack with Wii sports, thats an exstortionate amount.

Don`t suppose you happen to remember the name of this warehouse do you Dave ?? My original xbox is on its` last legs so I was going to treat myself to a 360.

Rich

360 eh, me Mum also got one of these for me for Crimbo so i am happy. Word of advice though and forgive me if i go geekish here :rolleyes: get the new Premium console with the HDMI port built in, even if you don't have a HD T.V its the new revision console with the 65nm Falcon CPU and it doesn't suffer from overheating problems.

Sorry if that goes in one way and out the other but i build PC's thats the easiest i can put that info into context lol ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE