Nice long log fire demonstration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Skansen is a very special place, I would love to visit in winter. I am guessing you need pretty bone dry softwood for this fire? Easy to find standing dead if you are in northern softwood forest but not in the UK. I reckon your man could save a lot of effort on keeping warm if he didn't shave his head or wore a hat.:)
Yes dead standing pine, from a frozen dry forest I think.
It's a great book. Pity it's not available in english.
Sounds interesting. I can read a little Swedish so might check it out. Anyone have a link, or can tell me the title? I can find ones called "Eld" (fire) and Snö (snow).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That geezer looks the biz as well!
I used to have one of those Norwegian sweaters!
I quite fancy one again! Any ideas folks?
Nice post,thanks!
Chris.

Hey CTC, I sell those jumpers, PM me if you want one, do white and blue.
GB
ps work for the above company, I'll cover the postage

Last edited:

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Sounds interesting. I can read a little Swedish so might check it out. Anyone have a link, or can tell me the title? I can find ones called "Eld" (fire) and Snö (snow).

It's "Eld - flammor och glöd - samisk eldkonst" by Yngve Ryd
ISBN10: 9127107507
ISBN13: 9789127107502
I can read a little Swedish now, but it's slow going.

It's a great book. Pity it's not available in english.
For me it's an excuse to learn a new language!

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
That's one of the most outstanding books written. When you're finished I can recommend Yngve Ryd's other books. Snö (Snow) is a Sami dictionary on snow. 300 entries each describing a differnt type of snow.
Ren och varg (Reindeer and wolf) is very bushcrafty and tells of how the Sami used to live during the late 19th and early 20th century. All told to him first hand by old Samis. Very interesting descriptions on wolf hunts with spear, guarding reindeer all night with a temperature of -40. Eating habits, living conditions etc.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Just had a very Christmassy visit to Skansen open air museum in Stockholm. There were quite a few Bushcrafty things going on as on our previous visits. This guy had a really nice long log fire going. I've normally seen the logs just lying on each other, but this air gap method looks very controllable with different sizes of green sticks keeping the dead-standing logs apart.
IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Demonstrator said it was good for 8 hrs. We were at the museum 4hrs, and it was still going well. It had to be maintained slightly, in that the ash / charcoal produced had to be scraped away, so as not to insulate the burning logs from each other. About 1 hrs work for two guys to set up though he said.
Kind of a big Bushy two bar fire!

This looks really good. I'd like to try this on the BCUK Norway trip...

Can anyone explain how it's done or know of a link where I can read more? I did try Google but it's not turning up much.

Barry

I can tell you a little more of the information I got from the demonstrator, and hopefully some Scandinavian members can fill in further...

1: Need 2 bone dry, dead standing pine trees of similar appropriate size.
2: Use axe to slightly flatten off each log.
3: Start fire by packing gap with LOTS of birch bark, and trimmings from logs.
4: Adjust gap by using small stripped green logs
5: Regularly remove ash and charcoal formed on burning inner sides (he was just using a crappy old axe for this, but not an "elegant" tool for the job IMHO)

About a hours work for two experienced guys to set up he thought.
Didn't see any evidence of a grappling device (forget what they are called) for lifting and adjusting the burning logs, and forgot to ask. Perhaps they just lift by holding either end of the green separating log with thick leather gloves?, eg. when it needs to be changed?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I had a pair of those boots years ago, they have a notch cut in the heel for attaching your ski's i got them from a reenactment kit seller for about 15quid unissued.

I got a pair of those swedish army boots earlier this year and they are brilliant. I think they were £35 on ebay? maybe less than that. Just like grandad used to wear. The leather is very thick and tough yet they were comfortable from day one. They do have a notch for skis. I use nikwax on them. I heard you can get swedish leather dressing that has birch tar or pine tar in it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE