Next course - what would you do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
OK, so you've been on a basic bushcraft course, and learned how to light a fire, build a shelter, dress and cook wild game, make natural cordage and so on.

What do you do now?

- some kind of camp craft?
- an 'expedition' style course (perhaps abroad, or in a UK 'wilderness' such as Scotland)?
- a 'survival' style course, where you have nothing but the clothes on your back and a knife - having to survive off the land?
- something else?

What would you do - or have you done? Were/are theses courses available?

What would you like to see offered on a course?

Me? I'd like to increase my general campcraft - I vaguely recall time in the Girl Guides (as was) making useful things for around camp. I'd like to refresh my knowledge on knots and lashings, on making containers and utensils.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I plan on doing the Primitive Living 2 course next with Wild-live which basically is learning advance skills whilst in the woods with a knife and your cloths. It's a camp based course but I would love to do a nomad/Journeyman type course in say scandinavia or Canada. I believe the Karamat school in Canada do a course like this call the Walk. A bit far to go but it might be worth it.

Also a dedicated tracking course is definitly on the cards.

I hope to get to scandinava in 2006 either on a course or on my own I am not yet sure. I might do both.

James

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey,
Can I make a sugestion that you purchase a copy of "Wildwood Wisdom" by an american chap called "Ellsworth Jaeger". The book covers lots of basic woodcraft and also many of the camp items you are interested in making. Look the book up on amazon (I' think it's about £8). It was written in 1945 so it's not very PC (still calling Native American's "Red Men") but it's got heaps of good idea on camp items to make from coat hangers to camp kitchens.
I think you'd enjoy the read if nothing else but it's a really usefull book.
Hope that's of use to you, persnally I want to improve on my tracking and stalking skills. :)
Regards,
Phil.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I'm with James. I would love to do more stuff overseas and Mors Kochanski's courses are hi on my list.

Another type of thing I'd like to do is a horse back expo up high into the Rockies!!

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
I have managed to book a place on the Woodsmoke Nomad course for next year, 100 miles travelling lightweight thorugh the lake district.... Can't wait...

:rolmao:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I know they are James - I was chatting to Geoff about it!!

And James if you ever do plan to go to Karamat tip me the wink I might go with you!!

hootchi

Settler
masongary44 said:
I have managed to book a place on the Woodsmoke Nomad course for next year, 100 miles travelling lightweight thorugh the lake district.... Can't wait...

:rolmao:
That would be my utmost favourite course to go on. Who did you do the previous woodlander type course with? :biggthump :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE