Newbie question!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
Hello all,
I've recently got myself a slightly larger Mora knife than the first I acquired, from eBay, and it is covered in some strange rust prevention gunk. Now here's my question, is this rust prevention gunk just for transit and general storage? because it doesnt appear to be doing much for the actual use of the knife. The gunk is very very thick and sticky, and when I cut wood and so forth the gunk creates a lot of friction and makes cutting that little bit more strenuous and also the gunk comes off on the wood staining it orange! It's definitely some sort of synthetic gunk.

I'm not quite sure what the product is, but i'm sure you guys will be able to help me out :eek:

So should I remove this stuff from the blade and use other rust prevention methods? Or leave it on?
I can't see leaving it on a great idea though... unless I just remove the gunk from the bevel and spine.

Cheers,
Josh. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Josh,
You can probably remove the thick grease by using paraffin or white spirit as it is very likely that it was put there for storage/transit protection. When you have done it, keep an eye on how the blade behaves in normal use - it might need some light oil as temporary proofing against rust/corrosion/general discolouration.

ATB

Ogri the trog

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
Ogri the trog said:
Josh,
You can probably remove the thick grease by using paraffin or white spirit as it is very likely that it was put there for storage/transit protection. When you have done it, keep an eye on how the blade behaves in normal use - it might need some light oil as temporary proofing against rust/corrosion/general discolouration.

ATB

Ogri the trog
I suspected so, i'll give the white spirit a go. Cheers Ogri. :)

EDIT: Worked like a treat. Blade is shiny and i've just put a wee smear of vegie oil on it for a more practical anti-rust measure. Thanks again, Ogri. :) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE