Newbie - Please Help, gear suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rorster

Aug 22, 2007
Hi, I'm Relativly New To The World Of Bushcraft & Would Like Some Recommendations On What Gear To Use. Any Recommendations Would Be Appreciated.

Regards

Rory

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Hi there , em the older ones would be better at this queastion than I, but what sort of stuff do you have how often do you go out , and the places you do go what are they like.
Oh By the way welcome to the forum.:)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Fella welcome to a trully great site. Have a search I'm sure you find loads of info.
I use alot of ex army stuff as my mate has an army stall.
Goretext fleck tarn jacket for autumn winter £6.99 + p&p off ebay.
Just need to keep a look out......you could buy top of the range gear as I have quite a bit for snowboarding but it stresses me that I will wreck it so go for hard wearing kit and ex army stuff.
Good boots a firm starting point.
All the best Dave
Ps forgot to mention I am a bit on the tight side so like a bargain!!;)

Rorster

Aug 22, 2007
See That's The Thing. I Don't Really Have Much In The Way Of Equipment And Therefore Would Like Some Recommendations On Just About Every Aspect In Terms Of Items To Purchase.

Rorster

Aug 22, 2007
Fella welcome to a trully great site. Have a search I'm sure you find loads of info.
I use alot of ex army stuff as my mate has an army stall.
Goretext fleck tarn jacket for autumn winter £6.99 + p&p off ebay.
Just need to keep a look out......you could buy top of the range gear as I have quite a bit for snowboarding but it stresses me that I will wreck it so go for hard wearing kit and ex army stuff.
Good boots a firm starting point.
All the best Dave
Ps forgot to mention I am a bit on the tight side so like a bargain!!;)

Thanks Mate. Had Posted A Reply To Lodian Whilst Yours Was Being Posted.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
See That's The Thing. I Don't Really Have Much In The Way Of Equipment And Therefore Would Like Some Recommendations On Just About Every Aspect In Terms Of Items To Purchase.

All I'd say here is, "Don't go mad!"
You'll only end up spending money on stuff that you either don't need or will outgrow very quickly. If you really really want to buy something, do your research, theres loads of gear out there and everybody has their favourite manufacturer, and every manufacturer will have a better reason why you should but their stuff and not the competitors.
If you have a coat, a pair of wellies and a Swiss Army penknife - you're good to go.
Have a good long think about the skills that you'd like to aquire first and try to get away with as little kit as possible. Once you're on your way, get along to a local meeting so that you can see and handle stuff that has become popular - then make up your mind if you can justify buying it.

Its a very long slow journey.

ATB

Ogri the trog

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
May be another way to go would be to get on a basic training course to start with perhaps one where the training school supplies the equiptment My Instructor said to me you will bring loads of stuff with you BUT your veiw about what you actually need will totally change after this course He was of course right So dont go spending loads of money until youve had a bit of training WELCOM TO BUSHCRAFT

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Ok boots get Grade 1 or brand new depending£25 on ur budget from an ex army shop or www.cadetdirect.com, Knife get a Mora clipper if you live on the coast get a stainless steel one if not get the carbon£10. Rucksack its all on ur preferences. Get some rope of some sort 550 para cord you should find on ebay. A firesteel get the cadet model to start with£7. A tarp(20-30£) 3x3 is a recommended size and a good sleeping back. As tommy said have a good look around the forum.The knife i mentioned the mora you can find on ebay or the bushcraft uk shop.
Also get a good book if its your first one and depening on budget if you have access get one from the libary , John wisemans sas survival giude is a good but big one or Ray Mears essential bushcraft.
not including the rucksack you could if you play your cards right get all this for under £100 but if you cant manage that like i couldt by bits as you go along but i recommend you get a mora or simmilar knife first.

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
Hi Rorster, just wanted to say 'welcome to the site'. I can't give you much advice on kit coz i'm pretty new to bushcraft myself, and still learning what is essential and what is just dead weight in my kit. My one piece of advice though is to get a decent first aid kit. I learned this recently on a survival course in scotland, my husband had a nasty accident with his knife and our first aid kit was rubbish! It was just a £2 one from a 'cheap shop'. I am a nurse so i managed with what we had, but during the hour long drive to the nearest A&E for stitches, the pressure dressing was woefully inadequate.
I have recently been bought John 'lofty' Wiseman's pocket SAS survival guide for my birthday and this has a really good first aid kit list in it. I also have the Ray Mears book but this hasn't got as much info in it. If you would like me to list the stuff in the SAS survival book just let me know.
Welcome again, Nichola

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Right, I have deleted a couple of peoples posts from this thread. Knock off the bickering or the thread will be closed.

Rory please refrain from capitalising every word in your posts and do not resort to bad language or name calling.

Loz, if you have concerns about bots or advertising please use the report function in the corner of the posts.

Any concerns feel free to PM me.

Cheers
TT

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Rorster and Nichola, just a thought up date your profile to include county or idea to us where you are as many on here would probably happily meet up or give advice etc in person if they were local to you; you never know you might find a new walking / bush buddy.
Just a thought
Dave
Ps Obviously not suggesting full address as safety has to be a consideration.
PPs who was fliipin' swearing?!?!?!?:rolleyes: :D

Hi Rorster,

First of all - you've probably asked your question in the wrong section. Having introduced yourself in "Introduction and Welcomes" - you'd have been better off posting this in "Kit Chatter" - but that's by the by!

For a newbie wanting to explore - I say 1st - boots, boots and boots! Buy the best you can afford and be very fussy about trying them out in the shop.

2nd - the best waterproof jacket you can afford with the rest of your money!

3rd - a small daysack that will carry at least 1 ltr water, regardless of the time of year, a warm layer (fleece) and a days worth of light rations (this can be snack items - nutigrain, chocolate, biscuits - if you're leaving after a substantial breakfast and expect to be home for supper), a fully charged mobile phone and some navigational kit (minimum: 50,000 map and compass).

4th - a SAK or multi tool - doesn't have to be the best - but at least functional.

You are now ready to explore the great outdoors - in your area. All other kit considerations will come with experience. Kit buying is best done through your own experience as you'll invariably find yourself spending a fortune on stuff you'll never use!

Welcome and good luck!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thats good advice Fin.
Just one thing to add to that is DON'T wear jeans, sounds obvious but alot of people make this mistake.
If they get wet they shrink rap to your legs, take ages to dry and weigh a ton. Buy a pair of cheap army combat style trousers you should be able to get a pair of OG / DPM / Black ones from your local surplus shop for £10 at the most.
Other than that and a GSOH which is priceless you will be ready to go!

Thats good advice Fin.
Just one thing to add to that is DON'T wear jeans, sounds obvious but alot of people make this mistake.
If they get wet they shrink rap to your legs, take ages to dry and weigh a ton. Buy a pair of cheap army combat style trousers you should be able to get a pair of OG / DPM / Black ones from your local surplus shop for £10 at the most.
Other than that and a GSOH which is priceless you will be ready to go!

Yep!

Good call Greg - forgot to mention the wet weather death! - Denim Jeans! Ex Army surplus Lightweights/ Denims/ OG (single map pocket on the left thigh) are the best value trousers around (still have mine after 20 years - although, sadly, no longer issued) - cheap as chips from your local surplus store and a great kit starter investment.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
i'd say read alot of the treads..you will get an idea of the sort of stuff most people are using
and getting cheap i.e there is firesteels on ebay at the moment for £2 each and 50p postage they are seconds but nothing is wrong ith them atall...also get yourself an ex army gore-tex bivi bag for your sleeping bag.
yes army clothing is the best..but you can buy some other clothing that you can ware when you are not out wondering around the woods. like cheap regetta trousers for about a tenner if you look around...and graghopper trousers are on sale at the moment and they are the dogs dangelly bits if you have about £20 pounds spare......well that my 2 cents chucked in and may i say welcome :)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I'd agree with that. A lot of people seem to succum to advertising and end up with a draw full of unsuitable items gathering dust. Read the threads, if there is a certain item you want to know about, use the search option and type in what you want to research. There is a wealth of experience on this forum and most of the 'do-ers' have used most of the kit available today (sometimes to destruction!). They can give you the full story on how things work in a real world environment.

Secondly, ask questions. We all started off knowing nothing and all the information we gather re-enforces the fact that we actually know less than we thought! As someone once said, knowledge is power!

Lastly, welcome and enjoy!:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE