New knife laws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Well do you want a load of unregistered chickens running riot with machetes? Do you?!

I dunno, all those extra laws and still the knife crime figures go up. Call me crazy, but d'you think maybe trying to ban the problem away isn't working...? :bluethinking:

Reactions: Droidy and Crac

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
If anything this will encourage more people to learn how to forge their own blades in the privacy of their own workshops. There are a lot of things that are illegal about which the police do diddly squat. Uninsured quad bikes, and E scooters for instance.

Reactions: Droidy

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Just when you think this country can't get any more ridiculous....

I thought chicken registration was bad, but banning 'machetes' because of feral youths stabbing each other with kitchen knives is more insane
Buying a modest kitchen knife in the TK Maxx "home goods" offshoot shop(?) was an interesting experience.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
When they ask for ID, I ask if they would like to tug on my grey beard to be sure.

Jokes aside, it doesn't take a lot legal gymnastics for some pruning saws to become questionable either. Consider the Silkyboy range. Serrated blade, lockable in open position with branding suggesting it's a sword. Granted the blunt spine is not intended as a cutting edge but 10 minutes grinding on a paving slab or hit somebody with it and legally under the 'screwdriver clause' it becomes a blade. Quite a big one.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
It is already illegal to have a fixed blade (in any place the public has access) without a good reason.

Be it axe machete or skinning knife.

What this latest round of muppetry contributes to public safety is quite beyond me.

Reactions: Aristotle

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Tories desperate for votes. Stupid, draconian, laws look good to their base on the Daily Mail front page/Website.

"Ban gardening tools!" that will stop people stabbing each other.

"Ban kitchen knives!"

"Ban knitting needles!"

Reactions: Droidy

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
It is already illegal to have a fixed blade (in any place the public has access) without a good reason.

Be it axe machete or skinning knife.

What this latest round of muppetry contributes to public safety is quite beyond me.
It is often the case that existing laws cover the required situations, but governments like to add to them, for no real change, but nuisance to law abiding people.

Read "The Secret Barrister" and "Fake Law"

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think they announce consultations more than they bring forward laws. All governments of modern times have announced consultations on matters that might appeal to the electorate and not even just their side but floating voters and voters for other parties that are towards the governments side of the other party. Then they quietly shelve them or totally modify them or leave it until they win a bigger majprity.

This will not go through before the other side get voted into government.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Tories desperate for votes. Stupid, draconian, laws look good to their base on the Daily Mail front page/Website.

"Ban gardening tools!" that will stop people stabbing each other.

"Ban kitchen knives!"

"Ban knitting needles!"
Speaking to a Blue light worker friend recently and apparently the new weapon of choice for gang members are sharpened bicycle spokes, very difficult to administer first aid or treat long term....especially due to the manner they're used. So quite possibly knitting needles will be banned next next!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE