New handle for an awl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've had one of the Ray Mears Offset Stitching Awls for years and years, I originally intended to just use a temporarily bit of old broom handle I fitted as a sod it that will do for the time being job, what 8 years later enough was enough, I well and truly had enough of aching hands after punching hundreds of holes in leather with it.

So as I had some Hemlock I thought that will do nicely.

I love my new (well, new to me drill press, it makes simple stuff like drilling a straight vertical holes so much quicker).

I removed most the wood with chisels.

Then used a horizontal sander to do most the shaping.

Nice fairly tight hole, just a matter of waiting for the glue to dry.

After a final sand and a soak in linseed oil its all done, SOOO much better in the hand now! Plus as its squared it wont roll way from me.

After years of use I'd say this awls are worth every penny!

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I was lucky a mate was getting rid of his old less powerful one as he drills a lot of steel and had 3 and the one he never used, so I bought it off him for £25, bargain!

I'm looking forward to my next knife handling as until now my holes for the pins have been all cordless drill. I bet it'll take a lot less time with it.

Although with a bit of practice and good drill bits free hand you can get nice tight pins.

Just went and grabbed my Enzo Necker:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE