new fisher, advice???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Folks,
Am off up to the Ardnamurchn peninsular next week for a well deserved holiday and fancied having a go at catching some fish from the loch. i have never fished before and don't really fancy lugging (and buying) tons of gear about.
Anybody out there have any advice on some cheap kit and what i'm likely to catch (aside from a cold). Also, from what i have seen, i don't need any license but are there any restrictions up there?

Cheers

Baggins

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Depends whats in the Loch. Is it a stocked loch? ie a fishery stocking rainbow trout? If so then its usually year round fishing but remember to consult the owner/club for specific tackle requirements. Some places don't allow barbed flies etc.

If its a wild, untended loch then have a look here for fishing seasons. http://www.fishpal.com/Scotland/Legal.asp

If you go sea fishing then there are no restrictions or seasons. A good, cheap sea spinning rod and reel combo, some 2-3oz lead weights and a few packets of ready made mackerel feather rigs and a spool of 15-20lb line is all you need really. You will catch all manner of fish on that set up inc Pollock, whiting, mackerel, cod, and wrasse to name a few.

If you going fly fishing then its a simple set up. You need a nice cheap rod and reel combo. I picked up a 6-7 weight 9ft Shakespeare rod and reel combo for £30 new from a shop in Irvine a few weeks ago. Check out Glasgow Angling Centre's website for deals. http://www.fishingmegastore.com/ If you speak to them nicely they will even load the reel up for you with backing, fly line and leader (I suggest a front weighted line for a beginner). You will also need a selection of flies but these cam be bought in packets of 20 or so for a few quid. OK they are not great but they do the job.

I suggest you take a look at YouTube for videos on how to cast and how to set up your line etc. There are all manner of people giving advice on fly fishing and trying to sell you all manner of line joiners etc but I'm a firm believer of the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) and I use about 3 different knots which can be learnt online.

A good source of info for all things fishing is the Totally Awesome Fishing Show channel on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/TAFishing

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
cheers guys,
just looking to wild fish for whatever i can catch for a meal. Loch Sunart is a wild loch as far as i'm aware.
Eccoman, whats the better (easier) set up for a complete fishing newbie? i always thought fly fishing was quite a skill and learnt art form. for a first timer i figured i would just be lobbing a hook and line in the water then waiting for all the fish to bite :fishing:.

Baggins.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi. Which loch?

You've a lot of choice, both fresh and sea water.

I fished Loch Mudle about 30 years ago, a couple of times, but caught nothing. Likely due to my tasmanian devil demeanour at the time, in common with lots of 10 year old boys.

My parents have a lodge at Resipole, and Dad has had reasonable success in loch Sunart, mackerel mostly but he's only fished from a boat. There are places along the sunart shoreline where the water gets very deep, very quickly, these could almost be done with a hand line.

http://www.ardnamurchan.com/things-to-do/fishing/

Looks like you're out of season for everything but the sea.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Loch Sunart is a sea loch so I would get yourself a sea spinning rod and reel loaded with 20lb line a dozen or so 2 or 3oz lead weights and a dozen packets of mackerel feather rigs (3 hook white is usually the best). Get a few packets of clips and a few packets barrel swivels, a disgorger or forceps for removing the hooks and a priest (if you fancy taking a few back to cook for your supper). Its a really simple form of fishing and very inexpensive. You also don't need a licence unless you are quite far up the loch and in a private area. Oh and learn to tie an improved clinch knot.

You can fly fish in the sea too but your right, it is a bit of a skill to cast without catching yourself or cracking a whip. Needs bit of practice that's all.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If you don't have a clue wait until you get there and ask in the local tackle shop what methods are catching, but the fly rod is probably not the best choice unless you have a bit of instruction on how to cast.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Loch Sunart is a seawater Loch. So you'll be sea fishing and the kit you use will need to be suitable. Forget fly fishing, that is primarily for fresh water. Spinning may show results but many of the species that take spinners are out of season, mackerel for example. Float fishing or ledgering, both with bait, is probably the way to go.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
No "rod" license required in scotland. All fresh water fishing is out of season until the mid February for salmon and sea trout (west coast, but subject to local variation) and 15th March for brown trout.

Sea fishing, would be best from a boat at this time of year although steep (kelp free) banks and sudden drop offs would be bait fishable from the shore, spinning off the rocks, or fly fishing with sinking lines and big streamers off the rocks, would put you in touch with pollock (cuddies, as they're know round these here parts)and possible sea trout, big green cod are in about at this time of the year, up to 30 and 40lb's +, that'll put a bend in your rod, to get at them and be able to land them you'd need to be in a boat.

A hand line and feathers, "darrows" as we call this set up is easily got (in fortwilliam for sure) and low cost, better than a rod from a boat, and that set up will put you in touch with what ever's on the go, other than the semi static bait munchers, conger flat fish dogs etc.

No tackle shops within 50miles of the Ardnamurchan, there's one in fortwilliam, and that's yer whack, unless you find yourself in Oban or Inverness, both are miles away. Most small shops will sell hoods and bits and bobs, darrows, perhaps even a rod or two. But if you want kitted up, best to do it before you arrive.

There's no easy answer to your question, being a novice I'd recommend asking the locals when you get there, darrows work and cost little, sparkly holographic feathers being best ;), if you were going down the rod route I'd go for a small to medium spinning/bait rod as that would have other fishing applications.

With the darrows though, you could run the line out at low tide, anchor the weighted end securely and add nylon mono droppers (15lb) at intervals of say 5 to 10 foot, add and bait a hook (size 2) to each, run the line back up to the shore and tie it off, retrieve at low tide. You'd need a sheltered shore and hope that all the local seals have either been shot or eaten by the local orca pod, although if there aren't any signs of seals when you scope out a spot they are unlikely to get wise for one or two attempts, gulls are an issue too but not if the tide is dropping in the dark. "caostalsurvival" on here has a few vids around showing set long lining, so check it out.

Mussels make the best bait, hook on to the tough bit.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Thanks for all the replys guys.
Bought a cheap and cheerful rod and spinning fell for a teener from goat doors. will have a go and who knows. plus a mate has a cheap fly set he bought for his son that he's going to lend me to give that a go to. Should be good for a bit of fun and, who knows, maybe i might even enjoy it, lol.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I was up around Strontian over christmas, it's amazing up there :cool: There was plenty of seals, otters and birds after fish so there must be loads about. The shoreline looks very snaggy though so take plenty of extra tackle. Kilchoan pier might be worth a shot though if you're allowed on there. If you're new to it all though I'd be tempted to take a boat trip and get the local knowledge etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE