New antler handles knife and nodded bahco axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Knifes been on the go for months. I've just handled it and finished the sheath and fire steel. The closest I could get to a flat grind, 4mm o1 hardened at 800, tempered at 200 to 220iirc

The axe is a twelve quid 600g bahco one modded to a right handed carving grind, with a sanded oiled handle and a 3mm veg tan mask which is glued but needs rivets and a strap sorting.

ge5e2y6y.jpg

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Very nice. Is that that the standard Bahco axe handle ie the one that has the orange paint on?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I took a small bulge of the back of the handle just below the head, bit apart from that it's just standard besides the paint removal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Looks great, I've been after a half decent axe for roughing out spoon blanks and the like, think I might grab one of these and give it a go.

Did it require a lot of grinding?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
About 30 mins with a file, stones, belt sander, and wet & dry, and a strop, with about another half an hour with thinners, a scraper, sandpaper, and linseed oil for the handle.

I just put the bevel you can see in the top pic on it with the file, and then used progressively finer abrasive until I was happy.

The other side has a 2 or 3 MM bevel, its not like a chisel. Well. Not yet.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE