Nettle picking gloves?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

janemacdd

Feb 4, 2024
Surrey
Can anyone recommend gloves for picking nettles and their seeds. I wore garden gloves before but got stung badly. Thank you!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I moved this thread here from the Intro forum.

“Garden glove” covers a wide range of possibilities. What were yours like? I have used Showa gripper gloves, they are rubber dipped. The backs are not nettle proof, but the rubber is. I have also used leather gloves and they were fine too.

Reactions: Toddy and janemacdd

janemacdd

Feb 4, 2024
Surrey
Thank you! I used standard gardening glove bought from garden center. Did not protect from nettle stung. I’ll try rubber glove next time and see if it protects better.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am surprised to hear that Marigold rubber gloves are nettle-proof, I just hadn't really thought of them like that. I am wondering whether there is any difference in the age or size of nettle one is trying to grasp, or how one is grabbing it. I don't imagine that there is much difference in strength between old and new silica needles, but there seem to be far more on the upper leafy parts than on the lower stems. If one is collecting for greens vs string, is there a difference?

While "standard garden gloves from a garden centre" leaves me no wiser as to what kind of gloves the OP got stung through I am wondering whether they were just some kind of woven material, no rubber dip or leather. I think my mum once had some canvas garden gloves, but I haven't seen anything like that for decades. Were stings through the backs, or through the palms/fingers? The Showa 308 grippers that I like are thick knit on the backs, probably fine for a brush against a nettle but I would be careful if I was hand sifting nettles. Wouldn't want too much contact on the backs.

Bet there are some "heavy Duty" rubber gloves in the super market that would do the job, and give protection on the wrists.

Reactions: janemacdd

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have a violent and super painful reaction to nettles that goes on for days. Since I started using marigolds, I've never had a problem getting my hands stung. I make loads of nettle cordage so I need sting proof gloves. My marigolds are always in my foraging kit bag.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I got laughed at when I complained about getting my hands stung (on my first job) at Delamere Forest. The old guys got stuck in and I just did the same but my hands hummed all evening.

Garden Centre Gloves?
Oh the irony :rofl:

IMG_6052.jpeg

These are a relatively new gift bought from a local garden centre.
(Not mine - my Neanderthal hands don’t fit into any normal gloves)
They are a loose weave textile and the palms are just as open between the plastic dots. You wouldn’t get any protection from anything remotely rigid.

Last edited:

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
I was once told that once the nettle has flowered the sting is less intense. I confess, I've not bothered to test the theory - I'm not a masochist.

As for marigolds, I just hate the way your hand gets sweaty in them after any reasonable period of use.

The other gloves I wear working are these - they claim to be puncture proof but I have had a dry bramble thorn go through them.

I have an excellent trick to prevent you feeling that sweaty feeling with marigolds. All you have to do is fill them with jelly (or cat food) and voila! No sweaty feeling guaranteed

Reactions: janemacdd and Chris

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I got laughed at when I complained about getting my hands stung (on my first job) at Delamere Forest. The old guys got stuck in and I just did the same but my hands hummed all evening.

Garden Centre Gloves?

These are a relatively new gift bought from a local garden centre.
(Not mine - my Neanderthal hands don’t fit into any normal gloves)
They are a loose weave textile and the palms are just as open between the plastic dots. You wouldn’t get any protection from anything remotely rigid.

Ah, but not all Briers Garden Centre gloves are equal :)

My wife bought these today; I think they would definitely be nettle proof!

Gloves - 2024-02-05 18.09.01.jpg

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Afraid i'm one of the weird ones, stings don't seem to bother me any longer, i suppose because i've been stung so many times, i happily strip nettles down bare handed and even going as far as a bit of self flagellation with them on my hands and knees as the formic acid seems to help the arthritic joints and i kinda like the tingly sensation, yeah yeah i know - weirdo

I do of course get stung and the red stemmed nettles from woodland edges seem to be the worse, but i also understand that some people find them incredibly painful, when i did wear gloves to collect and work with them, i just used to use leather rigger gloves or something similar to the Briers Broch has posted above.

janemacdd

Feb 4, 2024
Surrey
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I have marigold gloves so will definitely take them with me next time I lay my hands on nettles!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Marigolds, or Ikea's version thereof :)

My work gloves are the sort of dipped stretchy fabric ones, and they are excellent, but they are not nettle proof, and like Woodygirl I suffer after I've been stung.

I hear all the comments about, 'Just grasp firmly', and think, "Aye, but it doesn't work.' It hurts. Indeed deliberately stinging gives the body something to fight against instead of attacking it's own immune system. RA....but the stings still hurt. Not a lot of fun when faced with a huge pile of nettles to work through.

My preferred gloves are leather gardening ones, but nowadays they are made with short fingers and I end up rubbed into blisters where the seams are at my pinky/ring finger.
So Arco's work gloves for most things, and marigolds for the nettles.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Off topic but OP looks to be resolved.

Is it just me or are the first nettles of spring sharper than the mature plants? I cannot claim @Kepis immunity but I don’t wear gloves for nettles. I get stung but it’s quite bearable.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Having worked from one end of the country to the other, I can say with some painful experience that the nettles are of differing potency in different areas.

Some literally feel like shards of acidic glass in the skin, and the pain lasts for days, while others are just a sort of ouch and a tingle.

Seasonality didn't seem to alter that much.
That said, I pick a fair amount of young nettles for soup/tea and usually leave the older ones for fibres. The local nettles are pretty brutal, but the worst ones I found were up the Clyde valley on an old farm steading. Gentlest ones were near Aberdeen.

I think they're like elderflowers and they're all different, but they all sting.

Good stuff though :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have an allergic reaction to them and the stinging will be painful and last days - but then, I get that from the Christmas tree as well :)

But, yep, fantastic resource!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I shall attempt Nettle cordage come Spring.
I’d eat/drink Nettle products before I’d starve but not much before.
Nettle tea is ……..tipi. I’m an espresso sort of guy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE