Nettle Cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Any good guides on this - I think I have enough nettles in the fields around my house to keep me busy for ages. I'm looking for a range of techniques to try so that I can find the one I like best.

Thx.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Mace,
pick the bigger, older looking nettles (by grasping at the base firmly, to aviod the stings). After stipping the leaves (good nosh), lghtly pound the stems to break up the fibres and then you can strip the outer fibres from the inner core.
You can then strip down the fibres to the thickness you need.
Hold the end of two strips of fibre in one hand, with the fibre drapped across your upper thigh. Place you palm on the fibres and slowly roll the nettle down your leg, at the same time, twist the end you are holding in the other direction. By doing this, you should slowly twist the individual strands and, at the same time bind the two strands together.
Probably not the best explaination but much easier than it sounds.
Good luck
Baggins

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Thanks. Pretty much got that. Got the harvesting, splitting, etc down to a fine art. What I'm finding is that when I twist them together they look fine but when dry they come undone and untwist from eachother. Any idea why that may be happening?

I've tried using fresh wet and dried moistened the same happens - I end up with untwisted cord that has no strength. I can't - no matter how hard I try - seem to get dried unmoistened to go together properly. I suspect this may just come down to practice.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Mace,

Just about the only thing I haven't done with nettles yet is make cordage but I'm sure I read that the older purple stemmed ones with tougher fibres are better than young ones.

J

jnlrnc

let the nettle strips dry a bit before you try to twist them together, that way further drying will have less effect.

If you want to try fishing, twisted threads will come undone - you need to plait them. Just start plaiting 3 strands of different lengths, and before one runs out, feed in a new one. They should be different lengths to space out the joins

Good luck

John

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
plaiting worked out way better. It uses more nettles but seems to make cord that's just as strong and looks nice too. That may become my preferred method. I'll post some pics when I've dome some I'm really pleased with

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
try treating them like rush. So harvest and ret them down into the fibres, then leave to dry and mellow for a few weeks. Then wrap them in a damp cloth for a few hours and make your cord up.

I've not tried it that way, but it works with rush when making baskets. I've not had the trouble you have with nettles, but I think it's coz I can't thigh roll. I have to hold it in my teeth and ply the fibres. It's a lot slower but you get a much tighter twist.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE