Neanderthal Animation?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I heard it suggested years ago, but to see such simple animation makes it so clear :)
Makes you wonder just how long 'humanity', in all of it's guises, has been so aware.
Excellent stuff :approve:

cheers,
M

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
its like Manny's story in the documentary depicting the social interactions between early tribe forming humans and a rag tag band of animals consisting of a mammoth, sabre tooth and a sloth.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I don't understand why this a new thing, aren't the pictos depicting animal behaviour? animals aren't stationary so it would be understandable that there would be more than one drawing of the same thing to show movement and poise?

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I'm willing to accept that may be why ancient man duplicated various body parts in their cave paintings, but I'm unconvinced that it is certainly the reason.

There's a good section in Terry Pratchett where they meet a kind of proto-aborigine and try to "school" him on Euclidian perspective:

“Interesting thing, these fellows never seem to get the idea of perspective-'
The Bursar thought, or received the thought: that's because perspective is a lie. If I know a pond is round then why should I draw it oval? I will draw it round because round is true. Why should my brush lie to you just because my eye lies to me?”

Ancient man may have been rendering visible levels of representation we as modern humans have lost the ability to appreciate. If we went to them with our "animation" theory, they might regard it as a tremendously narrow and short sighted way of thinking.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I wonder if the pictures of the Big cats were used to tell stories and scare the little ones to bits. Lovely thought.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Cheers for the post I was looking for a, " search of the day subject"! I have this image of these caves being early cinemas rather than deeply mystical places. With kiddies sat around in awe of the images brought about by the projectionist ( man with torch). Seriously thanks for the post it's an intriguing theory.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE