Natural Pathways course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Hi Guys,

I thought I’d have a stab at a review of a great 3 day course I went on with Natural Pathways in Kent. It was the ‘Discovery Course- Basic Bushcraft, Survival Skills and Nature Awareness’ 9th-11th May near Canterbury in Kent.

The school is run by Hannah Nicholls, who has an extensive knowledge of bushcraft and has spent time with Trackways in the UK as well as the Tracker School with Tom Brown Jnr in the States. Her assistants are Lief Bruylant, who has an amazing knowledge of, and passion for, wild plants and herbs and Sally Wallington whose knowledge of all things practical in bushcraft is vast. Each seems to have a subtly different take on the whole subject of bushcraft with Lief erring towards the spiritual, Sally the practical and Hannah somewhere in between. All of them are generous with their knowledge, which surprisingly I haven’t always found to be the case at other places. They are also extremely passionate about bushcraft, and that is infectious as we all know.

I have been on a couple of basic courses in the past so some of the practical stuff I already knew but it was great to have a refresher course, as it were. The topics you might expect from a ‘Basic Bushraft’ course were covered in good detail i.e., debris shelters, fire by friction, natural cordage, knife work and safety as well as loads more but what attracted me most to book the course in the first place, and indeed what I got most out of, was the nature awareness and ‘spiritual’ aspects of the course.

Now, I have never been labelled a ‘tree hugger’ nor have I ever been called a ‘survivalist’ (honestly no offence meant to either groups) – well actually I have been called both but only by the guys in the office who’s idea of interacting with nature is flicking to the National Geographic channel accidentally while looking for football . As simply as I can put it, I love spending time in our woodland and forests and bushcraft lets me do that more comfortably, safely and opens my eyes and helps me appreciate the beauty that is there. Oh, and I get to play with knives (safely of course).

As I said, it was the spiritual side of this course that drew me to it initially and throughout the weekend the practical lessons were interspersed with more ‘leftfield’ exercises such as being told to walk off into the woods and find a quiet spot to sit, think and connect with your surroundings. Another good one was being led blindfold to a tree and then spending a few minutes, still blindfolded, feeling and getting to know it in total silence. After the few minutes were up you were led back to your starting point, spun around a few times and then had the blindfold removed. You then had to go with your gut feeling and find you way back to ‘your’ tree. Amazingly, I walked in an almost direct line to mine (one of hundreds in the area). I still have no idea how I did it, but as I said the feeling was amazing and dare I say it…… emotional. The were lots of little exercises like this throughout the weekend and once I got over my initial crippling cynicism, and fear of looking like a dick, I thoroughly enjoyed them all.

It would probably be going too far to say I’ve had my eyes opened to a whole new outlook on my bushcrafting but I’ve certainly had a peek at a different approach and I like it. If I had to sum up the course and come up with a common theme throughout the weekend it would be two words- respect and gratitude. I guess the best example of this would be how Lief thanks every wild plant she takes a few leaves from to add to the wonderful salads she makes. The course must have left a mark on me as I’ve found myself muttering a few words of thanks under my breath now and again on my foraging!

Would I recommend this course?......... I think I just did.

Would I go again?............Oh yeah.

Hope this helps guys,

Kim

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Sounds like you had a good time :) Can't say I'd feel too comfortable with all the 'spiritual' side of things.
Good review, got any pics?

By the way, what site are Natural Pathways operating from nowadays?

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Good review Kimbo. Its refreshing to hear a different aspect from a course, I to tend to lean on the practical side of bushcraft but there is deff' something more to it than that.
Again a tidy little review, and did you take any piccies?

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thanks Jacko and Switch.

Switch- the course was held in a beautiful mixed woodland near Bareham.

Jacko- I know what you mean by leaning towards the more practical side of things but as you said, there is more to it than that and once I accepted that I really enjoyed learning about it.

I would be really interested in other peoples opinion on the whole subject.

The first beautiful sunset
View attachment 1084

No bluebells were harmed, honest
View attachment 1085

Such amazing colours! (what is it)
View attachment 1086

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Great pics Kim, the forest looks amazing!!
Not too sure on the fungi, Chicken of the Woods seems about right as it deff' looks like one of the polypores.....
Super looking little debri shelter there as well!
All in all good stuff mate :D

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
The Squirt and I did a day with Hannah a year ago and loved every minute of it. I would and have recommended Natural Pathways to other people as a great way of introducing their youngsters to bushcraft.

And yes, that is some Chicken of the Woods. :)

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
The Squirt and I did a day with Hannah a year ago and loved every minute of it. I would and have recommended Natural Pathways to other people as a great way of introducing their youngsters to bushcraft.

And yes, that is some Chicken of the Woods. :)

If that isnt conclusive proof I dont know what is!!!!!:lmao:

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thanks Chicken........I did mean to say thanksfor the ID.

I see you have been with Squirt to Natural Pathways, what did you think of the spiritual & nature awareness content, or was the not any? Personally I really enjoyed it but I am really interested in what others make of it.

Cheers mate,

Kim

Path Finder

Jan 3, 2008
Devon
trackingcourses.com
Nature Awareness Unpublished Dissertation

Hi Kim.

If you are interested you can read the final outcome of my research into Nature Awareness the Title of which is: Exploring how people with addictions experienced Nature-Awareness as a Therapeutic Intervention

http://www.precentormarketing.com/

There is a spiritual connection made by those who took part in the research which is based on what they had to say about Nature Awareness.

If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them, just drop me a line.

Best wishes

Geoffrey McMullan (Former Natural Pathways)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That is a great review - and it sounds like a great course!
I am both a "spiritualist" and a "bushcrafter" (for want of labels that fit better) and have experienced some of this kind of nature awareness with Geoff.
It can be extreemly empowering!
I often try to compartmentalise my bushcraft and spiritualist activities seperately but where do I go to get my head unbent after the bad times - out into the wilds, to alow nature to help me!

Works for me!

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Hi Kim, regarding the spiritiual elements we both enjoyed that aspect of it which I think was reasonably subtly played although I realise that for some the idea might seem a bit tree-huggingly 'girly'. In this case it was pretty skillfully managed, I thought.

But then perhaps that's because I began bushcraft & foraging as a child by looking at if from the persective of tribal traditions, habits and practises so I found I could easily relate to the concept of walking lightly on the land & being mindful.

Either way, it's that understanding that I'd want Squirt to value too & I wouldn't want to do either in any other way.

Does that make sense? :)

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Hi Chicken, I totally agree....the spiritual and nature awareness apsects were sublty handled and not rammed down your throat, in fact I only ever felt 'invited' to explore MY feelings and how I was affected by the excercises and never asked to blindly accept what I was told.

John- Thanks, I consider it true praise indeed coming from a man with your experience! And I think you're right, I too use my time in the woods to 'unbend' my mind from the daily grind of my 'normal' life.

Geoff- Thanks for the link to your dissertation, going by the title it's almost as if you wrote it with me in mind! haha. I'll certainly give it a good read and, I'm sure, bombard you with questions. Hopefully it'll answer a few of my questions as to why the course had the effect it did on me, and in a wider context, why I get what I do from being out in the woods.

Thanks to you all guys, much appreciated. :You_Rock_

Kim

Path Finder

Jan 3, 2008
Devon
trackingcourses.com
Hi Kim

No problem I will be happy to share what I know as I know Hannah would be. Hannah is very skilled and what she does and she cares deeply about people.

It is very nice to see people talking about the spiritual aspect of survival/bushcraft I believe this is a very important part of what we are about often they are seen as separate. It is very rare to see this topic being expressed on any forum; I would like to see more of it.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you wish and also challenge if that feels right for you. I am very interested in both positive and negative feedback in fact without the negative to help us see what we need to see it might be difficult to change and move forward and it is good to question.

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Path Finder

Jan 3, 2008
Devon
trackingcourses.com
Hi Kim

No problem I will be happy to share what I know as I know Hannah would be. Hannah is very skilled at what she does and she cares deeply about people.

It is very nice to see people talking about the spiritual aspect of survival/bushcraft I believe this is a very important part of what we are about often they are seen as separate. It is very rare to see this topic being expressed on any forum; I would like to see more of it.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you wish and also challenge if that feels right for you. I am very interested in both positive and negative feedback in fact without the negative to help us see what we need to see it might be difficult to change and move forward and it is good to question.

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
I think that the more time you spend out in nature the more your awareness deepens, whether consciously or not. Even if you just think about the way that you feel when you are out in the woods, how you connect with your environment, that is a little bit spiritual is it not? People get uncomfortable when the word 'spiritual' is mentioned but how can anyone who spends a lot of time out in the woods not begin to connect or feel at one with nature? Surely that is what we are all striving for, learning skills which allow us to comfortably spend time outdoors, re-awakening a part of ourselves that our ancestors needed on a daily basis simply to survive.
For me personally tracking without first tuning into your surroundings is like reading the back cover of a book. You get a basic idea of the story but you can never know the intricacies and twists and turns of the plot!
Deepening your awareness and accepting that there is a 'spiritual' side to what we all do can only serve to enhance our enjoyment of time spent in the woods. Don't let the word put you off, I don't dress in rainbow colours and prance gaily around the trees(!!) but I do enjoy spending time outdoors, tuning in to the world around me in the hopes of understanding it a little better.

Apologies to all the rainbow prancers amongst you :eek:

And great review Kimbo, sounds like an amazing course!

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I have just come back from a similar sounding course in Kerry in the Southwest of Ireland run by IPNA. ( a short review posted yesterday but not in the same detail as this one, well done ).

I too took more from the awareness side of the course than I expected. I would not be well known for my touchy/feely side (more of a contrary sort you know) but I really enjoyed getting in tune as it were with the woods. I think that we can all get better value from our time in the woods no matter how short it is and I will be following up on this side of bushcraft in the future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE