Native American Inspired Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I thought i would post this here as the 'Sharps' forum seems to get them a lot and i feel this is a DIY type thing.

This is a sheath i have just finished. It started as an experiment with bit's and pieces of leather i had lying around and mutated into a Native American Inspired sheath. All i have used is 3.5mm veg tanned leather, 1mm round thong, 2mm round thong, 3mm round thong, Buffalo bone beads, a section of antler and a 'D' ring. Oh and Fiebings light brown dye.

Made the two piece flat sheath out of off cuts, bound the edges with 2mm thong and 1mm thong. I then used 2mm thong to stitch together 2 pieces of 1" wide strap, bound the edges of this with 1mm thong and dyed. Then after dying the rest of the sheath and the dangler (1" wide strap stitched together with 1mm thong) i used the now 2" wide strap as a collar and formed it through the belt loop. Then, using 3mm thong, stitched it together with 3mm thong using the antler section as a tensioner and finally the buffalo bone beads as decoration.

I wanted to dispense with cotton stitching altogether so there is none at all on this sheath, just for experiments sake. It all sounds so easy, well in fact it was, but very time consuming.

I have been experimenting with the mottled effect for some time now. I achieve this by using eye shadow applicators. These are little foam pads on plastic sticks that people use for, guess what, applying eye shadow. Basically, i use a random though sparse pattern, let it dry and then build up letting each coat dry. Every time, just using dots and spots, never covering the whole thing.

Just thought i'd see what you think. I know it may not be to everyones taste, but as an experiment, i'm reasonably chuffed! Your thoughts and comments would be gratefully recieved, many thanks,

Jedadiah

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Oh yes, it was doused with Neatsfoot compound as well and as it has dried, it's left little scabby yellow bits between the thonging. Initially i tried to clean it off with a suede brush, however, i'm pleased with the 'distressed' look and think it add's to the authenticity!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Now that I love! What an excellent job. If I do one in a similar style I think I'll replace the metal 'D' ring with a slice of antler with the core drilled out - that'd make it completely authentic looking then.

Eric

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Thanks for the favourable comments everyone.

Eric, from you that is praise indeed! I had not thought about using antler as the dangler joint. If only i had some about 11/2" diameter i'd have given it a go. I did think about using thonging as a joint, but, to be honest, i did'nt trust it! Foolish really as the 3mm thonging on the collar is probably strong enough to use for abseiling!:eek:

Anyway, this is why we experiment is'nt it. I mean, it's all made up of scraps and off cuts from other work so it's not as if i bought the leather specially. Ho Hum;)

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Nice work Jed,
which knife did you make it for, is it for one of the ones you had at the moot mate

Brian

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
It's for the Paul Baker Graduate, though Project Lupo fit's nicely, it has very similar dimensions apart from the length, Lupo is about 1cm shorter. Tourist got the Mick Spain knife with Micarta scales, the one ishowed you with the un-dyed sheath. The sheath was dyed Dark brown at Tourists request, and it was a dark brown as well! After i finished i had to check that i had'nt used black! He's well happy with it though! How's your WS Woody? Still 'scary sharp'?:)

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Jed,
The WS Woodie is still scary sharp mate, thanks to Longstriders excellent instruction but unfortunately not getting much use at the moment. :rolleyes:

Brian

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
It's for the Paul Baker Graduate, though Project Lupo fit's nicely, it has very similar dimensions apart from the length, Lupo is about 1cm shorter. Tourist got the Mick Spain knife with Micarta scales, the one ishowed you with the un-dyed sheath. The sheath was dyed Dark brown at Tourists request, and it was a dark brown as well! After i finished i had to check that i had'nt used black! He's well happy with it though! How's your WS Woody? Still 'scary sharp'?:)

I did say, "Well happy". And I is.

You are right with the colour though, depending on the light it either looks black or brown.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE