Nanok Cold Weather Suit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
outdoorgirl said:
Well, I got a call yesterday morning from Chris at GAS and my CWS will be with me by Tuesday at the latest!...

...with the amount of kit I seem to have bought lately I'm sure I'll be warm! :)...

I'm almost as excited about the arrival of your SF suit, as you are (What a sado kit freak I am <chuckle>)!

If you have the time, why not post the kit list for the trip? I'm sure it would be of interest to many.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
outdoorcode said:
Yep fakes, there are always a few dodgy ones knocking about .. often have chicken feathers in :D

Would they also come with a dose of Avian Flu, ODC? <chuckle>

By the way, I'm doing my best to ingnore the watches on the home page of your site. And you're no slouch when it comes to the Nanok Endurance sleeping bag offers!

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I will spare everyone the slightly verbose nature of my enquiries to Nanok regarding the special contract version of the SF Reversible Cold Weather Suit, and so will not quote the verbatim exchange between Nanok and myself.

This is a paraphrased version of Nanok’s response to my questions:

1. All that is known by Nanok, is that the special contract items were delivered to a town in north-east France (I won’t name the location, as it all sounds wonderfully ‘hush-hush’ <chuckle>), and I'm mindful of not revealling anything that might compromise anyone’s security, etc, etc. They were however destined for unnamed ‘special forces’ (Pause…for another swig of Merlot).

2. The shell fabric will resist a water column of 500/600mm (Apparently a fully waterproof fabric will withstand a water column of 1500mm).

3. Nanok confirm that although the shell fabric is water-repellent it should be worn with a waterproof layer for use in conditions of freezing-rain/’wet’ snow. Furthermore, they recommend the Tatonka poncho in these conditions and they mention that it is available via GAS, and refer specifically to this URL: http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/infocgi/artinfom.dll?2800036

I have to report that I can’t find the specified poncho on the GAS site.

Hope this is of interest to some, if not all :)

Best regards,
Paul.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Mine arrived the other day as promised - very good service from GAS, I'd buy from them again.

I'll let you all know how it stands up to the weather in Levi in a few week's time - predicted temp is -20C, so I doubt I'll be able to test it's waterproofing as it will be far too cold for the 'wet' version of H2O... :)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
outdoorgirl said:
...I'll let you all know how it stands up to the weather in Levi in a few week's time - predicted temp is -20C...

Watched RM’s ‘Real Heroes of Telemark’ the other night, for the first time, and all the British Royal Marines and Norwegian Army Jegerkommandos were wearing the Nanoks. The suits seem to work well around -20ºC.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o227/T7b2aK/RayMearsRealHeroesofTelemark-Part30.jpg

Bonne chance, and stay safe!

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
I have a pair of Nanok trousers that I've not used yet nor the conditions. They do look like the dogs danglies though - wish it was colder in this country sometimes :rolleyes:

Might be prepared to let them go to a new home?

Phil.

Don't pass 'em on, Phil, just turn the central heating off :D

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE