Nanok Cold Weather Suit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hello Ogden,

This reply may be a little late, but I’m posting it in case you didn’t make a decision to buy one.

I can’t give you a direct answer to your question in regard to a direct comparison of the special contract version of the Nanok Endurance Special Forces Reversible Jacket and Pants, available at Genuine Army Surplus and the Nanok Arctic Jacket, as I don’t own an Arctic Jacket.

However, the information on the Nanok-Tactical Web site (http://www.nanoktactical.no/) says that the Nanok SF Reversible Jacket and Pants, the Arctic Jacket, and Shelter jacket all have the 200g/m² filling.

I have a Shelter Jacket and the Cold Weather Suit from GAS (The CWS arrived the day before yesterday) and the filling feels like the same weight to me.

In addition to the spec mentioned for the separate jacket and pants, there are the sleeping bag socks (Mentioned on the GAS site) of the same construction and filling, also there is a detachable insulated hood (Which is not mentioned).

The Nanok site mentions that there is a concealed hood in the collar (Made from the shell fabric only) which can be used as a stuff sack for the jacket. The special contract jacket from GAS also has an additional, separate, stuff sack placed in one of the jacket pockets. The pants have a single zipped rear pocket, which can be turned inside-out and used as a stuff sack for the pants. And to top it all off, the entire ensemble comes in a purpose made Nanok compression sack!

The jacket also has the long ‘shirt tail’ at the rear of the jacket, and the suit seems, as far as I can determine, of an identical spec to the ‘standard’ SF jacket and pants, apart from the ‘sand’ coloured reversible option, rather than ‘snow’ white. The pants have the full length zips on both legs.

On the matter of sizing you should be aware that the SF Reversible Jacket and the Arctic Jacket are very different in this respect, although they look almost identical. The SF jacket is intended to be worn outside other layers of clothing (My guess it would be something like – thermal base layer > combat jacket/smock > Webbing > SF jacket). The Arctic jacket is intended to be closer fitting and worn UNDER a shell layer of some sort. This is an important consideration when choosing the size of the cold weather suit.

I already had a Shelter jacket (Large size) and it’s a good, close fit, with enough room to wear a thin thermal layer with a thin mid-layer (A Nanok Air Jacket – large size – just fits under the Shelter jacket).

When I ordered the Cold Weather Suit I took the gamble that because the suit is meant to fit over the top of a considerable amount of under clothing and kit (Like the ‘standard’ SF reversible stuff), that the large size would probably ‘swamp’ me. I’m happy to report that I was right in my gamble. I ordered a medium size, and it’s a perfect fit. I can wear the Air Jacket under the SF Jacket, and there is room to wear long pants under the SF pants.

I’ll give some of my measurements to help you choose a size to suit you:

183cm tall
104cm chest
97cm waist
84cm inside leg
75kg weight (Small boned)
42/43 Euro shoe size (The sleeping bag boots are just about right for me but if you are much over a 43 the boots are going to be too small for the length of your foot – the width of the boot is generous)

The medium sized suit is almost ‘made to measure’ for me.

As far as I know, and at this time, GAS still have medium and large sizes still in stock. At the current price of £49.99 which is ‘insanely’ good value for the jacket and pants alone, not to mention the ‘extras’. I can’t fault with anything about the suit, or the service at GAS (I sent Chris an email via their Web site facility and had a reply to my query by telephone within an hour! Seriously good customer service).

Oh, and although I can’t find any information on the nature of the qualities of the shell layer fabric, it does appear to be water repellent if not actually waterproof (I took out the concealed hood in the collar, placed the hood in my cupped palm, and puddled water into the depression, and left the water there for a couple of minutes. Although the seams don’t appear to be taped (Like the Shelter Jacket) there was no water penetration.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Paul.

PS: I’ll PM you to advise you of this post in case you have unsubscribed from this thread.

PPS: Needless to say, but the suit is seriously 'toasty' :)

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Great Forum. Thanks for the long answer, Paul. After reading your text, I would
immediately order one. But since two weeks I am in love with my own pure bliss.
Ordered it at the same store.
And I was surprised too: the extra hood is sooo good! Mine is size L and I am
185cm. I use it as midlayer (and like the midlayer to be roomy!)
Best insulation equipment I ever saw. Cosy and warm, functinal - even pretty;
The side zippers at the legs, the protection under the zippers, the one drawcord
for the hood, the second small hood in the collar....and: I never had sleeping
bag socks before. From now on I will take the less insulated sleeping bag and
the Nanok socks.
Before I bought the suit I sent an e-mail to Nanok with the URL, and asked if it
was original Nanok and about the insulation. They answered: Yes, original,
insulation same as Arctic, produced for the "French Forces".(Didn't post this
because thought nobody was interested)
Since I first tried the suit, I have the impression that the shell doesn't matter
anymore. Ventile, a simple BDU or Goretex...the Nanok will make it.
Greetinx

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Glad you had a positive experience too, Ogden.

I bought a 58 Patten olive green poncho as the outer layer for the jacket for use in ‘horizontal, freezing rain/wet snow’ type situations, and I’m now considering some waterproof leggings (Open-crotch type) to go over the pants.

All I need now are some US ‘Micky Mouse’ boots and I should be ready for the next Ice Age :)

By the way, it’s interesting that you mention ‘French Forces’. When I spotted the suit on the GAS site, it triggered a memory of the post where I first saw the suit. I think the post was made by someone from Woodland Organics who were offering them at around £200.

I’ve searched both the BCUK and British Blades forums to try and find the post (I’m guessing it was sometime last year/early this year), but without any luck. I was mainly looking for information about the history of the special contract version. I had a vague memory that it was made for the French military, but I wasn’t sure.

Did Nanok give you any more detail other than ‘French Forces’ in their email, Ogden? Perhaps the terms of the contract would make any ‘specifics’ confidential, not to mention which part of the military would be using it, but any more detail would be interesting, to me at least. I like to know something of the provenance of my kit - Just a curious type, not a military ‘buff’ as such.

Best regards,
Paul.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
TheGreenMan said:
I was mainly looking for information about the history of the special contract version.
:) Not bad, I like this attitude...
My next step is to find out how the suit works as midlayer between Ullfrotte and
cotton/ventile. So I wait for the next foul and cold weather, have a long shower
until the whole stuff is really wet and then let's see..

No, Nanok's e-mail said "...French Forces..." only.
But they replied immediately,so you might have a good chance to get more
information from them.
....and please let me know!
Greetinx + le's talk after long-term testing

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I got one a couple of weeks ago and it was delivered the day after ordering. I've not tried it out yet, but I'm hoping to use it in my hammock next weekend instead of a sleeping bag.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Ogden said:
...My next step is to find out how the suit works as midlayer between Ullfrotte and cotton/ventile...

This would be my ideal combination, but I dread to think of the cost of a Ventile suit large enough to go over the top of the SF jacket and pants. I recently bought a Ventile smock just large enough to go over a thermal base-layer and a thick woollen sweater, for autumn/winter walks, and it put a serious dent in the wallet (But it's a really useful item, and can't praise it enough).

Ogden said:
No, Nanok's e-mail said "...French Forces..." only.
But they replied immediately,so you might have a good chance to get more
information from them.....and please let me know!

I’m going to email Nanok, as you suggest. I’ll post their reply.

Ogden said:
...le[t]'s talk after long-term testing

I’ll let you know how it performs the next time I go Extreme Picnicking <chuckle>. I imagine now that I’ve bought the SF suit, it’ll be one of the mildest winters on record in the UK!

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
outdoorgirl said:
Hi guys - I've just ordered one of these suits from GAS for a trip to Lapland next month. How long did the delivery take when you ordered?

Hello outdoorgirl,

Difficult to give a straight-forward answer for the following reasons:

1. Placed order for a number of items > received a phone call from GAS advising me that the size of 58 pattern poncho I’d ordered was out of stock for a week, when a new supply would delivered to them. GAS offered to send all the other items immediately and send the poncho on when it arrived with them, but I suggested holding back the in-stock items and sending it all together in a single parcel.

2. A few days later I was looking at the GAS site again, and decided to make a second order for a few more items on special offer (Can’t resist a bargain! – Nanok Endurance -10 bag, Nanok Air Jacket, and a folding aluminium windshield for my Mini Trangia). Sent a message to GAS via their Web site facility, asking if they could add these items to the ‘held-back’ original order. In under an hour I received a telephone reply to the message informing me that it would be no problem, and that the poncho was now back in stock, and the order would be sent out that day (Late afternoon).

3.Both orders arrived in the same parcel (Better than Christmas!) two days later. It arrived by their courier (APC Overnight). The name of the courier suggests that they aim to deliver ‘next day’ (scanker’s reply tends to confirm this).

Hope this helps.

By the way, I envy you your Lapland trip, hope you have a lovely time!

Best regards,
Paul.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/

I'll be using the suit in my Hennessey Hammock, Paul, which has a silnylon tarp over it and I've also got a homemade underquilt. Hopefully that'll keep me nice and toasty, but I'll probably have an Army Arctic bag in reserve just in case (not going too far from the car).

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Anyone have an up to date URL for the suit itself? I can't find it on the GAS site which probably means it is now out of stock :( You gotta be quick with kit links on this site!

Update: called them, and yes, all gone bar 2 small sizes.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
mayfly said:
Anyone have an up to date URL for the suit itself? I can't find it on the GAS site which probably means it is now out of stock :( You gotta be quick with kit links on this site!

Update: called them, and yes, all gone bar 2 small sizes.

Hello mayfly,

I was just about to post the URL (The photo and info seems to have been taken down) when you 'pipped me to it' with your update :)

Interesting that you report that they still have small sizes left. I couldn't find an option for a small size, that info might be of use to someone (I could find an option for a small size when I bought mine).

GAS has been selling these at a reduced price (Albeit not the 'silly' recent price) since the beginning of the year, I'm amazed that they weren't snapped up ages ago, and count myself fortunate to have sumbled upon them when I did!

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
scanker said:
http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/

I'll be using the suit in my Hennessey Hammock, Paul, which has a silnylon tarp over it and I've also got a homemade underquilt. Hopefully that'll keep me nice and toasty, but I'll probably have an Army Arctic bag in reserve just in case (not going too far from the car).

I don't have a hammock, Neil, so I'm interested in this underquilt thing.

I've read a few times that one needs something to help keep ones back warm in a hammock. I have to admit I don't fully understand the principle.

I know that one needs insulation from contact with the ground in cold weather to prevent the ground from sucking the heat out of the body (Conduction), and I understand the basic theory of thermodynamics which would predict that body heat would dissipate into the air until the temperature of one’s body and the air have equalised.

Therefore, I had assumed that a suit (Or a sleeping bag, come to that) that has a filling that retains 100% (Or there about) of body heat would prevent body heat leakage into the air, and presumably if the heat can't get out, then the cold can't get in, so no underblanket/underquilt needed, hence my question about using the hammock/suit/bivi bag combination.

It would be interesting to hear results of you using the hammock/suit/bivi bag combination without any extra insulation in the hammock (Only up to the point where you decide that you are definitely going to turn into a meat-flavoured Popsicle without the underquilt, of course :D ). This would help when the time comes for me to buy a hammock etc, not mention finding out if my speculations about the thermodynamics are correct, or otherwise!

Best regards,
Paul.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
http://www.raymears.com/shop_cats.cfm?start=11&itemType=Clothing £140, and that's without the socks! Bargain. :D

The problem of keeping warm is just as you describe. In a hammock you fail to reach the equilibrium that you do when sleeping on the ground. A large factor is that hammocks are ideally designed for hot conditions, where the "under-cooling" is a positive advantage.

The underquilt is designed so as to provide positive insulation without being compressed. The insulation in the underside of the sleeping bag gets compressed due to the sleeper's weight and loses effectiveness. The quilt on the outside maintains its effectiveness as the weight of the sleeper is taken by the hammock and the insulation is not compressed.

Having said all that, I've stated before that in my opinion in the HH a large factor in getting cold is the wind whistling through the hammock material and (I haven't tried this, but perhaps I should) a simple windproof layer on the underside/outside of the hammock would improve things greatly.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
scanker said:

And no mention of an insulated hood. But that said, in RM’s defence, if memory serves me correctly, someone on one of the forums was originally offering the version we’ve got at £200. So which ever way you look at it, we’re lucky.

scanker said:
...The underquilt is designed so as to provide positive insulation without being compressed. The insulation in the underside of the sleeping bag gets compressed due to the sleeper's weight and loses effectiveness. The quilt on the outside maintains its effectiveness as the weight of the sleeper is taken by the hammock and the insulation is not compressed...

Ah, now I understand.

scanker said:
...a large factor in getting cold is the wind whistling through the hammock material and (I haven't tried this, but perhaps I should) a simple windproof layer on the underside/outside of the hammock would improve things greatly.

The Gortex bivi bag (Army one) would help with reducing wind-chill problem, do you think that a Mylar type blanket between the inside of the bivi and the suit would help compensate for the reduced insulating properties of the compressed ‘loft’ of the suit?

As a 49 year old, it’s safe to say that physically speaking, I’ve ‘peaked’, and I’m always looking for ways to reduce the weight of kit, and, as a person who doesn’t own a car (Never have) not having to hump around ‘luxuries’ such as underquilts is an appealing prospect.

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE