Namibia...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,
Im off for a month in the Kruger soon and had the same problem, i got some green GS shirts off Ebay and removed the epaulettes so as not to look quite so military. I notice that there is a Khaki colour as well im not sure if this is what your after but they are so cheap it might be worth getting one to have a look!. There are loads on there at the moment (these are the ones i mean)
Khaki
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARMY-SURPLUS-LONG-SLEEVE-GS-SHIRT-MEDIUM_W0QQitemZ250156700606QQihZ015QQcategoryZ70988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OG
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/X-LARGE-B-new-army-GS-shirt-green-size-44-46-TA-cadets_W0QQitemZ220141959830QQihZ012QQcategoryZ70988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hope that helps
lou

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Guys IMHO the heavier the better. If you go for a lightweight shirt it a) probably won't survive you first tussle with and acacia or other thorn bush ...... there are loads ...... and b) you might get sunburnt through the fabric (I've seen it happen a few times).

Try these companies:-

Unbeatentracks - the guy that owns this company if I recall correctly comes from Zambia so you could give him a bell to ask his advice.

Safari Gear is a fairly new company and I've not used them but it looks ok.

or for a cheap option you could try good old Cotton Traders shirts. They will last the trip but maybe not much longer!

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
We were out there this time last year, on a bit of a self drive in a landy. Got to go back when I have found someone who wants to drive a second vehicle, as there are some places in the north where I feel the need to visit - it would be a bad idea to go in one vehicle.

Take your camera cleaning kit! - I dont know if you will be heading into the real sandy stuff (further to the south), but it is very fine and will get everywhere. CP is a must, the sky is pretty blue out there and it will come out even bluer. Even a cheap UV filter will help keep the dust out and save your lense. If you are worried about weight, try and take one lense that will do all - if the camera isn't open, it wont get muck in it (well, not too much anyway. Memory cards/lots of film is also a real consideration - we came back with over 800 pics.

Sun hat, shades, sunscreen. Some moisturiser is a must - I have pics of the splits in my fingers that still make me wince.

Good boots. The desert has to be the spikeyest place I have ever been. You will end up with hobnails after a few hundred yards.

Take your bird ID book. The amount of raptors out there is amazing and secretary birds are just weird.

Enjoy yourself, it is a fantastic place.

feisty

Sep 2, 2007
Was there about 18 mths ago; ditto to the headwear ,sunscreen and bird book.I would like to confirm that any d.p.m.(camo) fabric or patterned goods is NOT a good idea.Although Namibia is more peaceful than a lot of sub-saharan Africa their neighbours are involved in ongoing difficulties and you don't want to be confused with members of a coup?
You WILL have the most amazing time, the Namibians are without a doubt charming and hospitable but be aware of street traders trying to sell you.... or pick your pockets, we, of course are like multi-millionaires to them,remember the adage ''Shoot photographs, leave footprints, take memories.

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Anti-snakebite serum...and start a malaria tablets course 4 to 6 weeks before you go...
Sunscreen, and a towel to keep damp and around your neck to aid cooling..even though it will be rainy season...

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I used to live in brasil many years ago so am fairly familiar with rainy/dry seasons.

Snakebite serum I think will probably be provided by the team I'm with. I'm well under way with the vaccines, even getting rabies!

I nearly bought some desert camo trousers but couldn't find any I liked so just bought plain khaki, glad I did!!

In the process of buying a handheld satnav (Garmin 60csx) and was wondering if there are any maps of namibia out there? I'm not all that familiar with this type of GPS so not quite sure how a new map fits in!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Toby ...... how did the course go? Fancy posting a review and some piccies???? Go on ...... you know you want to! :D Would love to hear how it went and if our adivce came in handy!

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Ha! Yes made it back, and didn't see any lions!

I'm not really into the review thing (had enough of reports at work!).

However, it was a fantastic course, learnt alot of skills when it comes to living in the bush, most importantly watch where you're walking as there are LOTS of nasties out there!!

Really good group too which made it even better.

If you're thinking of doing something like this I can highly recommend it, even though it's a little pricey, it's worth the cash.

Bizarelly I hardly took any photo;s as there was a chap on the course who just wanted to take shots, so I didn't see the point in us both blatting away and I'll be getting a copy of them all at some point anyway. Will put some on here when I get them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE