N Lancs S Cumbria

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
I'm new to bushcrafting and live in N Lancs.

Could someone suggest places in this area where I could 'go bush' and practise my skills without running the risk of burning down an entire forestry commission plantation. :(

On my forays I'm always a bit anxious about what the access might be seeing as how most land is owned by someone.

Thanks.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I visit North Lancashire a few times a year and one of my favourite places is Eaves Wood between Silverdale and Arnside. Very quiet off the beaten tracks and it's teeming with life.

Cheers
Sean

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
Yes I know it well. I suppose my main concern is about lighting fires and what you can and cannot do and where you can and cannot do it.

Dredunnrespect:
Thanks for that information. I'm new to the site and hadn't found my way to that bit. I will keep an eye on it.

carlcmss

Dec 18, 2009
Onatrio, Canada
I agree with Sean. When I visit the UK I often light fires in the arnside area and down next to the beach, I don't seem to get any problems as long as it's not huge. There are also a number of little woods up beside Over Kellet, if you ask around someone may let you use them, they did me but they where a friend of a friend.

Good Luck

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Never had a problem with lighting fires in eaves wood. In some places you can walk 50 feet away from the path and the only sign of a fire would be the smell.
Good call on the Lune estuary, it is remarkably deserted around there.

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
There are quite a few woods between Carnforth and Kirkby. I'm often up in Lord's Lot bird watching.

Bushcraft appeals to me for two reasons:
1 it gets me out of doors
2 the skills may well make it easier and more comfortable to get better photographs without disturbing anyone, people animals or birds.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I will certainly be less anxious about fires.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE