my rifle just died info wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
the old BSA rifle which I have used for a while has given up the ghost. It's been suggested that its just a seal but since the gun is so old I'm not sure I will be able to get anything done with it.
I only use it (used :cry: ) for target shooting not hunting but I thought someone on here would have some suggestions for replacement going cheep. whats the minimum amount to spend to get a gun worth having?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
grumit said:
hi andy what make of bsa is it it may just be a case of a new spring needed :-D

The power suddeenly went completely, though it had been going down a bit. I'm guessing both the seal and spring have gone.
here is the gun in question
rifle.jpg

we think it's a BSA meteer(spelling) the sights aren't the orginals

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
That looks like a BSA Cadet to me. Really quite old. I'd suggest it'll need mainspring, piston washer and breech seal. Chambers can probably help supply the parts, you need someone who knows what they're up to to fit them if you don't have the knowlege to DIY it.

Dave

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Had one of those years ago - I broke the stock cocking it ... the screws holding the rifle to the stock had loosened and as I cocked it ... CRACK! :cry:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
it is indeed a cadet. very old but felt nice. the gun shop said it wasn't really worth repairing it and said they had a second hand gun in for £75 which was the model which replaced it.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I'm not familiar with your particular gun or BSA parts availability but spring break barrel guns are pretty simple to strip, though GREAT care needs to be taken to ensure the mainspring tension is released safely, I do think it would be a shame to give up on it without having a look inside.

As for replacements theres a vast range of guns available, spring guns are the cheapest, easiest and most reliable, I have a Weihrauch HW80 (break barrel) and a HW97 (underlever) both of which Ive worked on extensively (polished internals, ports opened up, lazerglide piston, brass set back trigger blade etc....) and they are both nice guns, the 97 is the smoother of the two and a joy to use but the breech loading area is capable of removing your fingertips quite easily if things go wrong (the only downside of underlevers imo).

Webley have made plenty of nice basic spring guns, I had an older Vulcan break barrel before the HW's that worked fine, you should be able to pick up a nice 2nd hand break barrel spring gun for £75-100. If you only shoot targets I would suggest a .177 for its flatter trajectory and lower power requirement.

There are loads of other good makes, pick up an airgun magazine if you can (Im a bit out of touch and havent used my rifles for some time) I would avoid the cheap Chinese models.

Jason

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I don't know if there's many still knocking around but my dad had a .22 BSA Meteor years ago. It was very basic but powerful and reliable and worked well with a scope.

I guess they're pretty old so you should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply - get a few test shots in before you buy, listening for spring slap, watching for puffs of oil, feel for a slight but smooth recoil, etc. Check the barrel and trigger mechanism for rust and check the sights - if the rear sight is adjusted to its maximum limit, it probably means the spring has gone.

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE