my new toy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
Looks very similar to my 16.5" WWII from Himalayan Imports except for the point which is more pronounced, I always think of mine as being a bit snub nosed. Very elegent looking blade. If you are bringing it to the Scottish meet we can compare them.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Very interesting. I've read Quartered Safe Out Here by George MacDonald Fraser and it seems that this sort of thing was commonly carried in Burma even by non-Gurkha soldiers of the British Fourteenth army.

Like a tomahawk, it is very practical and has a lot of history behind it, and if I was out in the wilds, or back in HM Forces, it would be a nice thing to have. For ordinary UK bushcraft I'd worry about it being regarded as a weapon.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
JohnC said:
I have an older kukri, and while I agree that it is a large piece of metal, I was under the impression that in it's original usage it was very much a work knife, used for justabout everything.

John,

In practice you are quite right, they are used nowadays for all sorts of everyday tasks however they were designed and made, originally, as a weapon.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
bambodoggy said:
Too true Doc, and after all that's exactly what it was designed to be... a weapon!

Still, horses for courses ;)

And there was me thinking it was meant for rhubarb. Well it was what my granny used :D one swipe and off came the big leaf, and the wee pointy bit was just the thing for catching on and howking down rowan branches for the berries. My uncle was an M.O. with the Gurkha's and brought one home. I think my b(r)other got caught up to mischief with it and had it confiscated by Grandpa :( My father just commented about thanking various deities for small mercies ;) (well it was either in the hands of his small son or his mother in law !:eek: )
What are you going to do with it though :confused: : Go on, admit it, you just couldn't resist having one to play with, could you? :) And the rest of them are all going to be green :p Ye Gods, billhooks, parangs and kukrhis....see this bushcraft..... see serious knifeage :eek: .....and I thought re-enactors were bad!

Cheers,
Toddy

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Lol...I lived over the road to an officer in one of the local regiments when I was younger and knocked about with his son....we always had Kukhris to play with! :eek: :D

Here's a bit of the history of them if anybody is interested:

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/faq/Introduction.htm

and here's part of debate about whether they still have formal training to fight with them in the British Army:

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/faq/Training.htm

I wouldn't like to stand in the way of them charging with Kukhris drawn!!!! :eek:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
it's from one of the squaddies mantras;
"i don't know what it is, i don't know what it does, but it's shiney and i want it"
"if it's not nailed down it's mine. if i can prise it loose, it's not nailed down....."

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Toddy wrote:
My uncle was an M.O. with the Gurkha's and brought one home.

I wasn't a doctor in my TA days, but I remember being told that MOs could only use weapons in defence of themselves or their patients. I don't think Queen's Regulations specified that it had to be a 9mm pistol and not a Kukri though...

I met some Gurkhas at Redford barracks once. I'm glad they're on our side.

Gurkhas also serve in the Indian Army. I lived in India for 2 months and was most impressed with the Indian Army. I'm glad they're on our side too. (Well, I know India is independent and non-aligned, but as the world's largest democracy they're still the good guys.)

Anyway, I think Graham has given perfectly good reasons for wanting one and I look forward to seeing it at the Scottish meet. :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A couple of the Gurkhas came to visit my grandparents when I was little, by then my uncle was an orthopedic surgeon but while as their M.O. he'd corrected a damaged foot in a baby born to one of their families and they brought photographs to show the healthy little boy. There was always a great deal of respect for the Gurkhas, courtesy too; good friends but very determined enemies.
I think my uncle would have used whatever tool he thought best for the job of defending himself or his patients, regulation issue or not ;)
Like Bam we played with kukhris as children :eek: Just you wait, Graham's shiny new toy will be making the rounds and Ross and Andrew will start the "Please Dad..." and I'll sit back and think that thank heavens mine are old enough to buy their own! :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
funnily enough, when i read the description of the khukri i thought of ross........
one of the two utility knives is described as a "blunt knife for striking flints and sharpening the main blade"

Jul 18, 2005
When I'm out bushcrafting on private land, I have a pocket Leatherman tool and a Billhook in sheath on my waist. I hope that in this way I'll not be reproached. Just as I might carry a shotgun or rifle, (but would not carry a sleeved down AK to shoot small game!). I'm concerned that my image should be seen as acceptable by the city-focussed modern society.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE