MY new R.M/A.W Woodlore some observations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hi guys,

I agree I like the new? handle profile of the Woodlore knife, I just wish mine had resisted water contact a lot better.

I almost immediately received an answer to my email that I send to Alan Wood, he is a fine gentleman and after reading what he wrote me I was "enlightened" but I consider his email to me as personal.

Woodlore itself is "investigating" the matter and is doing so already 5 days, I don't know what they want to investigate when they don't have the knife but so be it.

I'm not an impatient kind of guy normally but after my Woodlore stayed dry for exactly a week the wood had shrunk back sofar that I thought "what the heck" what more can happen to the knife that wasn't already written about.

So I taped it up with some very nasty military OD green duct tape, this stuff sticks like nothing else I used is waterproof and a friend of mine in the army used it to repair tears in "cover sheets" used on military trucks, he said where they used the tape it never tore again ;)

So I taped the handle starting on the metal of the blade just after the bevel grind all the way up to the thong hole.

I started again with my 800 grid waterstone for some finishing work having adjusted the bevels as much as I could as it took me already around 3 hours, then after a short session on the 800 grid went over to the 1200 grid and spend another 30-40 minutes (taking my time as I got interrupted by several telephone calls) to bring it to a decent really scary sharp nice satin finish.
Then came the 6000 grid with the Nagura stone, well again 30 minutes later I was ready to get the tape off and I still had perfectly dry handles only sticky from tape glue remnants that took some time to remove but who cares.

I stropped the bevel on my grandfathers razor strop impregnated with some green polishing compound and finished on the opposite side on the untreated leather and now I have what I think is an Scandinavian edge with flat bevels mirror polished and so sharp that just touching the edge digs deep into your flesh, yep it happened to me; it cut through 4 layers of thick cotton + the skin/flesh of my finger when I held it by the blade trying to clean of the duct tape sticky glue remnants :(

Anyhow I think I will refinish the handle and threat it monthly with some appropriate oil as to Mr Woods advice.

I’m looking forward to the results of the investigation from Woodlore ;) in the mean time this “armchair adventurer” with balls to complain” as I was so “lovingly called” will have a Woodlore knife that will get used, has an edge like I think it was supposed to be and I’ll just stick a 3 feet roll of my super duct tape in my backpack for when I want to sharpen the knife ;)

I’ll try to post some photo’s later, right now the camera’s batteries are recharging, I need to make diner for me and the kids as the wife is on a visit her mother and afterwards I’ll probably retire in my armchair ;)

So a little patience and you’ll get to see the photo’s.

Best Scouting wishes,

Bagheera

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Bagheera said:
Anyhow I think I will refinish the handle and threat it monthly with some appropriate oil as to Mr Woods advice.

Hi Piet

Could you tell us what Mr Woods advice was?

Cheers

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Fraser,

I don't think Mr Wood would mind:

The only treatment I give them is a one hour soak in Danish Oil to give the wood a base and some protection. My own knife is only slightly swollen and has a monthly treatment of a good quality gunstock oil.

It would have been nice if the knives were supplied with a small leaflet, nothing fancy just an A4 printout with some basic care instructions.

Still if you want to go the "waterstone way" I would really duct tape the handle as I described letting absolutely no water reach the handle, it saves a lot of frustration.

Cheers, from the armchair,

Bagheera

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hi guys,

As promissed here some photo's of my final sharpening/polishing session and the way I protected the handle wood against moisture:

Woodlore-finalpolish4.jpg

My waterstones ät work

Woodlore-finalpolish1.jpg

Detail of the blade bevel almost finished

Woodlore-finished-tape.jpg

Detail of the handle taping and blade

Woodlore-finished.jpg

Detail of the finished blade

I will make some more of the handle etc. later

Cheers,

Bagheera

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Good idea using tape to stop the handle getting wet during sharpening, but you shouldn't HAVE to do that surely....

Also, is that handle birds eye maple or something else?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I don't know whether it's just the lighting or picture et al, but that looks like no other wood I've ever seen on a Woody. Has the tape residue darkened the wood?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Fill a tall thin glass with Danish oil, and let the handle stand in it for two days uninterrupted, I doubt you'll get any more wood problems after that. That's what I do, and I have immersed my Woody's regularly in water, never had a problem.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Bagheera, I'm curious to know how much the handle cam away from the tang when it was wet, do you have a photo of it?

You can pick up danish oil from DIY and home impovement stores, it's usually with all the 'wood care' products.

Thanks
Dan

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Daniel,

I'm sorry of all the things that I should have done making photo's of the state of the handle after it was swollen was something I haven't done.
I was so unhappy last weekend as it happened Friday that I wrote a couple of lengthy emails after posting here and on BB to Mr Wood and Mr Mears and then I got hit by a throat infection that kept me unhappy but still working the rest of last week, every evening I just dropped into the bed with some pills.

However when the handle was swollen at it's peak it clearly stuck over the tang of the handle and the "Corby" bolts were recessed so much that you could see a rim of wood and you had no problem catching it with your fingernail.
This was for the first 2" of the handle from the blade side.

I let the handle dry without direct sun contact and after a night I noticed that there was a seperation of the handle from the steel of the handle at the beginning of the handle and I could fit a cigarette paper about 1/4" between handle and grip before it stuck. The handle wood was still clearly swollen as it protuded over the metal tang and Corby bolts.

Last Friday, before I finished sharpening the Woodlore everything was back to normal and you couldn't see, if you didn't know about it, that the grips had been bigger and there has been the "separation" until probably the next time it comes in contact with water, if I don't give it some permanent treatement.

I will try to get some Danish Oil and let it soak for a day in it and hopefully it will be protected against water better then.

I don't know if the Maple (forget about the birds-eye) handle plates are epoxied to the tang or not.

I now think I understand why Mr Mears uses his Reindeer antler handled Woodlore for his TV shows, the epoxied Reindeer antler all polished up is virtually imprevious for water.

Cheers,

Bagheera

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
For the record,

Here are 2 of my most used Bushcraft knives, one is a Helle Eggen for which I made a simple strong sheath for baldrick carry or as a neck sheath or from a belt, then there is a knife a dear friend in Texas, USA made for me flat ground D2, simple mesquite wood handle that has withstood everything it was exposed to and is is fitted in a Dwayne Puckett sheath. Both knives have been used heavily and performed perfect.

Then there is the 3rd knife my Woodlore still never used on anything but lower left arm, some fingers ;) and some paper for testing edge, now I'm in need of some Danish Oil to make the handle water resistant so I can use it without the handle swelling I experienced.

My-users.jpg

Back to my armchair ;) ,

Bagheera

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Bagheera,

I just returned from Norway and read the whole thread. What a bummer with your Woodlore. I don't know if you already have a source for Danish Oil, but I recently got a fresh tin from "Baptist" - the woodwork store in Arnhem.

Just send me a PM and I will send a tin your way.

-Emile

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Danish oil is a mix of Tung nut oil and "other ingredients to increase penetration".

I prefer to use 100% pure Tung oil myself, much more expensive than Danish oil but does a better job (but takes a little longer time) imho.

Bagheera said:
P7...,

What is Danish oil exactly ? and where can it be bought?

Cheers,

Bagheera

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Well guys after more then a week of investigation :confused: I received the second email from Woodlore:

"Hi Piet

We understand that Alan Wood has contacted you directly and we trust that this matter has been satisfactory resolved.

Kindest regards

Jane M"

Well, I have not much to add anymore, I'm still to confused, I for sure won't burden Mr. Wood with my Woodlore knife, it's Woodlore who I think should take responcibility as the seller of the knife.

Cheers,

Bagheera

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
If you had bought a dvd player from argos for example, and when sharpenning it, it expanded away from it's tang (you know what I mean :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ), then argos would deal with it, not the dvd player manufacturer.

I reckon you should at least get some money back or something for your troubles!

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Just a couple of points - under UK Consumer law (which is where the item was sold...) you have a right to goods of satisfactory quality and goods "fit for purpose". If an item you purchase does not meet these (you decide if your knife does or not.. ;) ) Then you have full recourse with the vendor, not the manufacturer, for a full refund or repair (your choice!)... I'm sure if made aware of these facts Woodlore would help you... Just my humble opinon and all that...

Bagheera said:
Well guys after more then a week of investigation :confused: I received the second email from Woodlore:

"Hi Piet

We understand that Alan Wood has contacted you directly and we trust that this matter has been satisfactory resolved.

Kindest regards

Jane M"

Well, I have not much to add anymore, I'm still to confused, I for sure won't burden Mr. Wood with my Woodlore knife, it's Woodlore who I think should take responcibility as the seller of the knife.

Cheers,

Bagheera

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
That being said I recently had a problem with a magnetic cat flap. I spoke to the retailer who then put me on to the manufacturer for a solution. The manufacturer responded and dealt with it. I know this is not the same situation but..... the manufacturer is in the best position to deal with a problem.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I think it is going a bit far to start talking consumer law, but I don't think it hurts to leave it there.

If Bagheera had been wanting to return his knife then he would have sent it to Woodlore and they would have been responsible for refunding him the money. That he has not done so, has stated here that he has taped and sharpened and cleaned the knife further, and now plans to give it an oil treatment makes it sound as if he has accepted the knife as is.

The only thing remaining is whether an impression can be made on Woodlore that they owe him something for the trouble he has had with the handle swelling. This should not have happened, and as the sole retailer for this knife it is their responsibility to make good. That Mr Wood has been in contact is beside the point. The transaction was conducted with Woodlore.

I think that further negotiations are probably best carried out in private.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE