My little accident on the Woodlore Course!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MandaPanda

Jul 24, 2011
Sussex
After receiving messages of sympathy and urges not to give up on bushcraft I have decided to show you that it's not too bad and I'm not going to give up!

I've had lots of jokes from friends regarding an "encounter with Zorro", am I going to "get 1, 3, 4 & 5 done too to help me count?" or did I get it "filleting a bug?" (hmmm people whose only experience is "I'm a Celebrity- Get Me Out of Here" I think!)

IMG_0143v2.jpg

(I didn't cut it like that, the surgeon did when repairing my extensor tendon!)
Can't bend it properly yet but it's on the mend
:)

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
hope it heals up soon! I don't think there's a person on the forum who hasn't almost taken there finger off with a sharp knife!! :)

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
You will regain your confidence soon again mate, I've cut myself a few times, nothing serious but the slightest of differences and it could have been really bad. The main thing is that you will have learnt a valuable lesson and it will ultimately make you better and safer with sharps.

Good to see that your finger is still attached though :D

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
oooh mate, that looks a nasty one, well at least you get the zorro joke out of it hahah, thankfully I didn't cut myself with my knife when I was at woodlore and there was only one bleeding cut among the group. Which course were you doing?, I did the fundamental last summer and hoping to do campcraft next year, absolutely loved the fundamental mind you I did manage to cut myself on my bowdrill? Never did figure out how that worked

outdoorpaddy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Happens to us all Manda.

Had a couple of nicks on both hands last week.

Probably manage some more when I get some puukkos this week. Lol

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
COOL scar!, they all carry lessons, Im still wondering what i will learn when i get the eagle eye action man scar on my face?
I already got one of those!
I learned not to press so hard during cutting with a scalpel that when the cut is made the scalpel blade hits the cutting board with enough force that it snaps and the broken bit of blade flies back to lay open facial flesh!
Most of my knife scars are from scalpels from my model making days.... I also learned that a sharp blade is less likely to slip as it needs less pressure, that a sharp blade hurts less than a blunt one and that cuts from sharp blades heal faster with less scarring than a blunt one.
I never did learn to change blades sooner than later though.....

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi manda just think of it as a battle scar lol, glad your not giving up on bushcraft as for the stiffness lots of exercise when its better it will be fine then a bad lesson learned I'm sure,hope it heals soon regards dave:lmao:goodjob

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Left hand index finger! The GBSFA's favourite victim. I did mine in just the same place but not quite as badly. Never trusted my SFA since - hugely prefer the Scandinavian FA or the wildlife hatchet. They don't seem to like fingers so much!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Next time there is a Sussex meet, you will have to come along and we can all compare index finger scars, glad to hear you are healing up well though.

Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That could have been so much worse; glad it's not and that it's properly attended to.

We could put a lot of people off if we had a gallery of the gory wounds and scars :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
COOL scar!, they all carry lessons, Im still wondering what i will learn when i get the eagle eye action man scar on my face?

Are you admitting to wearing blue roll neck sweaters?

I got one of them.

Me too but age has faded it and it hides amongst the wrinkles now.

Mandapanda, when I was a trainee chef I cut myself loads of times, not too badly but they were awkward to work with till they healed.

All the best

Liam

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
And blue Y fronts with minimal gentleman veg!:eek:

Are you admitting to wearing blue roll neck sweaters?

Me too but age has faded it and it hides amongst the wrinkles now.

Mandapanda, when I was a trainee chef I cut myself loads of times, not too badly but they were awkward to work with till they healed.

All the best

Liam

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
u'll have a canny reminder there for next time,lol.
ive carved off chunks of all my left hand nuckles when i was a YTS trainee butcher and all the sympathy i got from the head butcher was ( " ive got a bigger cut on the end of my **** " ) what a charming man i worked for ! lol, hope ye heal well soon.

cheers andrew.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE