My First Spoon!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I made my first spoon today, It isn't a fancy one but I like it.:D
I made it from a small log of silver birch which I found fallen in my local woods.

I have never done any woodwork / carving before so please no sarcastic comments!

:D

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 57

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
A fine start!

The next ones will be better. Try sketching a design on paper and carving the spoon from the sketch. It is hard to visualize what the carving will be until you have done enough to see and carve your design. I will pick up a piece of wood and look at every angle until I see the finished carving in the wood. Then I start to cut it to look like the thing I see in my mind.

Gailainne

Life Member
Nice one

I think there is an automatic first design for wooden spoons thats inbuilt into our brains, my first looks very similar, also silver birch.

Mines a ladle lol, its huge about a foot long, I didnt think just started carving.

I found it a very enjoyable thing to do tho, very therapeutic, apart from the multiple small nicks in my fingers :rolleyes:,

Like me you'll be checking other peoples work..saying "I could do that".

Happy carving mate.

Stephen

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Gailainne said:
Nice one

I think there is an automatic first design for wooden spoons thats inbuilt into our brains, my first looks very similar, also silver birch.

Mines a ladle lol, its huge about a foot long, I didnt think just started carving.

I found it a very enjoyable thing to do tho, very therapeutic, apart from the multiple small nicks in my fingers :rolleyes:,

Like me you'll be checking other peoples work..saying "I could do that".

Happy carving mate.

Stephen

I didn't have a clue:D I just started carving the wood outside because it has been a nice day, I had a few hickups and nicks but I am pleased with what I have achieved.
Now I just have to try and make one that comes upto John's standard:eek: :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE