my first handmade knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
i made this a few months ago. it's a bit broken now but i love it.

forged it from a bit of metal using a camp firepit just. i used a bit of metal pipe and a black bin bag to creat a bellow to get it hot but i didnt really know what i was doing. the metal never ever glowed, at all i dont think. i also just used loads of finely chopped wood on the fire, and not big long burning logs which i think woulda helped.

it was originally superglued into the birch handle but it broke when i was (kinda stupidly) using it to baton wood.

2dh5po3.jpg

as it broke when i was out in the forest with no intention of returning in the next few days i did a quick mend by making a glue from spruce resin, reindeer fat and fire ashes. the glue i made was eventually too brittle so it cracked (too much ashes i think?) but between whatever less brittle glue there was before, and the string i have wrapped around it, it stays in place. it wobbles, but it stays in place enough to use and not come out.

2r4ospt.jpg

the sheath i made from an old bit of cut-off boot leather i found in a shed. it includes a holder for my firesteel and a loop that means i can hang it from a belt loop. i really love the tar cover string stuff i used for the loop, it smells really good but i don't know where to buy it. i just found some tied to a friends old tarp and asked if i could have it.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice :) If you sharpened the spine, you would have a great pruning knife, and a great skinning knife in one. :)

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Ha Ha Great post mate. That's what I call a cutting tool. It's a far cry from knives being admired as things of beauty and reviewers applauding edge retention of a knife after making a sandwich and justifying the mental price tag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE