My first hand-made thing ever! - Incence Burner.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
Everything I've ever made right from play-school, through, primary, secondary, and grammar school. Has always been semi-shoddy, broken, stolen, or just plain rubbish.

So it was with great surprise that this project turned out as good as it did. I was tempted to put this up with a poll to see if you could tell what it is.

I have the remains of a cherry tree, approx 5 feet tall, 1 foot in diameter, and had a number of small branches. Using one of the small branches that was approx 4-5 inches in diameter and about 11 inches long, I made this incence burner. It's final size is - 8" x 2".

I used an axe, a root saw, a wood saw, a crook knife, and a sanding block.

Here are some images. any feedback and advice is welcome.

burn01.jpg

burn02.jpg

logoclose.jpg

This will be the logo I use on everything I do. the central part of the W is supposed to be a Tipi. I should have put it on the bottom really, but I've learnt my lesson. :)

The Logo was supposed to look like this:

logo.jpg

A very happy Wolves. :D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well done, mate. It's a great feeling to make something with your own two hands, is it not??. It's a feeling most people miss on when they just buy things instead of making them themselves :You_Rock_

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
Thanks! and yes it is, it was a most enjoyable afternoon! this one is being given to a friend who has a shrine at the bottom of his garden. So it's nice to know its going to a good home too. I can't wait to make a couple more of various things.

Wolves. :D

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Well done fella ! The start of a new and exciting career in whittling and makings of all manner, I'll bet. The bug will bite and you will soon be looking for things to make instead of things to buy.
"Tall Oaks from Little Acorns Grow..." ;)

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
jon r said:
nice job! I havnt seen one of these before! Is it your own dasign? How does it work? Have you got a pic of it lit?

Thanks for sharing!

Jon

Basicaly, you need incence sticks (they look a bit like "feux de bengale", I dont know how to say it in english but it's those sticks you light on birthdays that make a lot of sparkles hehe) and put the bottom end in the hole, which we see clearly on the 1st and 3rd pictures. So it just holds that stick at an angle while it burns. the ashes are gathered in the nook along the center.

Here's one in use (on the left)

Great job by the way on that incencer !

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Great Job! It's an amazing feeling when you create something and realise it does the job just as well as a store bought item.

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
Sadly not as I gave it straight to my friend to put on his shrine so I didn't get to christen it. It holds incence sticks which are stick that burn slowly and give off a nice aroma. Its a common design for stick form of incence, you can get pyramid shapes etc. But hopefully I will have made another one by Delamere, so if you are comeing to that and would like one, hopefully I will have one for you. :)

Wolves. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE