My First Bone Pendant!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 16, 2011
Perth
I decided to have a go at making a pendant, so I nicked the dogs bone (don't tell em) Bought them a new one of course but anyway...It is amde out of cow bone and it was quite fun to make.

rough cut out!

Shaped it with some files (got cheap nasty needle files off ebay which made it a lot harder than it should of been)

Finished but I think im gonna try find some thinner cord for the lashing

I think im going to invest in some decent needle files and have a go at come more soon.

CS

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's very cool CS, the dog will be happy with this type of deal too I should imagine! Look forward to seeing some more. What did you use to polish it up?

ATB,
GB.

May 16, 2011
Perth
It's the same style as a Maori hook that my brother sent me from New Zealand. I just used sandpaper to clean it up a bit and a fine grade paper to finish it.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Good job dude! I've got a big slab of falt black cow horn that might be good for round two :)

May 16, 2011
Perth
Does the fern have any significance to the Mouri people or is it just the shape?

I have a cow horn but I think I'm going to save it till I get the the hang of making them.

I need to have a look online to buy bone, I dont think the dog's are going to appreciate me stealing all their bones.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The koru, which is often used in Māori art as a symbol of creation, is based on the shape of an unfurling fern frond. Its circular shape conveys the idea of perpetual movement, and its inward coil suggests a return to the point of origin. The koru therefore symbolises the way in which life both changes and stays the same.
View attachment 21548

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE