Multifuel Stoves That Also Do Gas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

Been looking at multifuel stoves, mainly with a view to having something for a brew kit in my (diesel) vehicle and maybe a bit of easy cooking as well (like packets of ready-flavoured dry pasta). The ones that burn virtually all liquid fuels (other than alcohol) as well as canister gas are appealing. There don't seem to be very many, which helps with making a choice, I suppose, but I do find myself wondering how well they work. The ones I'm aware of are...

Primus Omnifuel
Primus Omnilite Ti
Optimus Polaris

Are there any that are fussy with some fuels? I'd like something fairly convenient (hence the LPG option) with the versatility to use vehicle fuels like diesel and unleaded petrol (as well as the more refined equivalents). I don't mind if the burner roars.

The (new?) Optimus Polaris looks interesting - doesn't need the jet swapped and has a magnet on the multi-tool which you move under the burner to activate a cleaning needle, even while the stove is running. Any thoughts on that, or Optimus in general?

There is also the MSR Whisperlite Universal, but it doesn't burn diesel (fussy jets?) and apparently doesn't simmer very well.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I keep seeing people saying that you can't simmer with a Whisperlite. I've been simmering using a whisperlite to cook since last century. Its really not difficult. Sure it's not as easy as on a stove like the Omnilite Ti or a Dragonfly. But it is entirely doable.

The big thing against the whisperlite is that it only burns petrol and kerosene (and gas in the universal version).

J

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
I keep seeing people saying that you can't simmer with a Whisperlite. I've been simmering using a whisperlite to cook since last century. Its really not difficult. Sure it's not as easy as on a stove like the Omnilite Ti or a Dragonfly. But it is entirely doable.

The big thing against the whisperlite is that it only burns petrol and kerosene (and gas in the universal version).

J

How do you do it then? Please do tell?

Si

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
The wisperlite was never made to simmer, even on gas, it is better but still hit and miss, the stove it's self is not heavy enough to retain enough heat on a low flame to maintain a high enough temp to vaporize the liquid fuels used. IMHO the only stove that MSR has ever built that does simmer is the Dragonfly. Of you want to use a multi-fuel that can include gas then the primus option is the way forward.

Si

N

Nomad

The Optimus is tempting because, on paper, it looks like the least hassle (although losing the magnetic needle mover could be a problem unless a conventional pricker can be used). What are the Primuses like for changing jets? Are the spares stored such that they're hard to lose?

N

Nomad

Found a review on the Optimus, and I'm less convinced...

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Optimus-Polaris-Optifuel-Stove/dp/B00U8B9LSI

Plastic pump parts that have to be flexed during insertion and removal isn't inspiring, and the reviewer reckons the single jet thing is little more than a gimmick, given that it's a single size and must presumably be compromised for some fuel types.

That means it's down to a Primus of one sort or another, but there seem to be several that do the gas+liquid fuel thing...

Multifuel EX
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ch/primus-multifuel-ex-stove-97210144?id_colour=180

Omnifuel
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ch/primus-omnifuel-stove-97210015?id_colour=180

Omnifuel reduced (huh?)
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ch/primus-omnifuel-stove-97210145?id_colour=180

Omnifuel II
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ch/p...-fuel-bottle-and-pouch-97210142?id_colour=180

Some rather large price differences, even if the Omnifuel II is the only one that comes with a fuel bottle. Is there any reason to not get the reduced Omnifuel? Are there any important differences to consider?

N

Nomad

Got one of those, Rik (well, with more angular outer corners/edges). It's a monster, and the fact that I've never taken it out of the garage suggests I'm unlikely to use it much. I didn't mention this, but there's the possibility of using the stove from a motorcycle as well (if I pass the test), so I'm looking for something that fits easily into a pannier, along with brew kit and water. Packable in a daysack for days out would be good as well.

Anyway, turns out that the Primus Multifuel EX doesn't have the secondary control to make simmering easuer, so that's eliminated. I gather the Omnifuel II packs smaller around the burner than the earlier Omnifuel, so I think the Omnifuel II is the one to go for. Options are to get it from Cotswolds (with BCUK discount), or possibly from here, which is cheaper again...

http://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/product/1472_primus-omnifuel.html

Anyone used Elite Mountain Supplies?

N

Nomad

The Omnilite Ti was eliminated because it appears to have been optimised for use with the heat exchange pans, which I have no desire to use.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Got one of those, Rik (well, with more angular outer corners/edges). It's a monster, and the fact that I've never taken it out of the garage suggests I'm unlikely to use it much. I didn't mention this, but there's the possibility of using the stove from a motorcycle as well (if I pass the test), so I'm looking for something that fits easily into a pannier, along with brew kit and water. Packable in a daysack for days out would be good as well.

Anyway, turns out that the Primus Multifuel EX doesn't have the secondary control to make simmering easuer, so that's eliminated. I gather the Omnifuel II packs smaller around the burner than the earlier Omnifuel, so I think the Omnifuel II is the one to go for. Options are to get it from Cotswolds (with BCUK discount), or possibly from here, which is cheaper again...

http://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.u k/product/1472_primus-omnifuel.html

Anyone used Elite Mountain Supplies?

Sounds like you have a No2 stove, they are great as a door stop lol

Optimus 111T would be a great choice, burns paraffin, petrol/Coleman fuel, meths and diesel

[video=youtube;oVXZrNWY6GE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVXZrNWY6GE[/video]

Last edited:
N

Nomad

Sounds like you have a No2 stove, they are great as a door stop lol

Sounds about right - works fine (and in excellent condition), but seems to have been made of left-over bits of the Forth Bridge.

Optimus 111T would be a great choice, burns paraffin, petrol/Coleman fuel, meths and diesel

I didn't know they can do meths as well - is pressurised and vapourised? If so, what's the jet size?

Anyway, I went with the Omnifuel II. The local Cotswolds had one in stock and the nice man was happy to price match at 139 quid. Looks like a good bit of kit, although I'm not too sure about the pouch thing.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The Omnilite Ti was eliminated because it appears to have been optimised for use with the heat exchange pans, which I have no desire to use.

It will work just find with normal pots. You will get a faster boil time with a ETA pot. But an ETA pot is by no means a requirement of the use of a Omnilite Ti.

I wouldn't remove it from the options just based on that fact.

J

N

Nomad

Pics of the offending pouch?

Don't have any yet, but it's basically a large, flat rectangular bag, open on a narrow side, and with a flat zip pocket on one side. The material looks to be quite heavy duty - decent nylon/poly fabric with some sort of PVC type of coating on the inside. The closure is a webbing loop at the top corner on one side and a hook thing at the other top corner, so the top is formed into a sort round shape (a bit like a dry bag) when the hook is in the loop. The pocket is big enough to take the folded-up windshield thing, plus the pump and multi-tool. The rest of it is just a big bag, and it seems to me that the stove is going to scratch the bottle something awful. It's also rather bulky because it's not in any way tailored to fit around the bits.

N

Nomad

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ch/primus-omnifuel-stove-97210145?id_colour=180

This one has the simmer control and works extremely well and seemed to be the best compromise at £115.

Fuel bottle not included, though (and Cotswold don't seem to sell the bottles separately). Add about 15 quid for that, and it's nearly the same price. I went for the Omnifuel II on the basis that it's the most recent design. They did have the previous one on display, and I felt that the pot supports were a little less substantial. The only other difference I noticed is that the later one has a spring retainer for the little spreader thing in the middle of the burner - easy to get on and off, and stays attached to the stove.

I just bought 5litres of panel wipe off Ebay, |Im hoping its 100% Naphtha.

Interesting - do report on how it goes.

N

Nomad

It will work just find with normal pots. You will get a faster boil time with a ETA pot. But an ETA pot is by no means a requirement of the use of a Omnilite Ti.

I have no doubt that it'll work, but I couldn't see much point in buying a stove with reduced power where getting back to optimum performance means using the Eta pots.

I wouldn't remove it from the options just based on that fact.

Already removed. The Omni II was in Cotswolds today with a price match there for the asking. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE