Mould on oak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smokin

Sep 6, 2011
England
Hi guys,

During the summer, some oak trees on a field next to my house were cut down and rather than let it go to waste, I asked the workers chopping them down if they could leave a bit for firewood over the winter. I cut it all up several months ago but since then, I've noticed that a fair bit of it has been affected by what looks like spots of white mould. I saw the same thing on a dead branch on another oak tree which was in my garden, so I'm concerned as to whether the wood will be ok to burn or not? I don't have a clue about things like this but rather than just go ahead and use it for firewood anyway, I thought I'd see if anyone has an idea about whether it's fine or should be thrown away.

It's a bit late to be taking pictures tonight! But I can get some tomorrow if that is necessary.

Thanks for any help! :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It's fine to burn, just don't spread the mould on your sarnies is my advice.

Mould is everywhere, you will have breathed 10 times the amount of spores into your lungs from everyday air than you get out of the mouldy oak.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Oak is dense wood and takes a long time to season (couple of years or more ideally) . It's unlikely it'll be ready to burn this year. Don't worry about the mould, but stack undercover with air circulation if possible. This can be as simple as an old pallet and sheet of ply or corrugated iron. But off the floor and away from walls at least.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Firewood is like wet washing. The sooner it gets into some fresh air to dry off, the better. As with washing that goes smelly and mangy if left damp too long, so with firewood. It needs to be exposed to an air flow, to take away the moisture laden air that spores love, and speed the seasoning process. Have you got it stored in plastic bags by any chance? The pallet recommendation is good. Plenty of moisture will wick up from the ground if the logs are resting directly on it. Simple corrugated or tarp roof, depends on the quantity you havve. Oak does takke a long time to season. They leave it a minimum of 3 years in France, usually 4 years.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Oak is dense wood and takes a long time to season (couple of years or more ideally) . It's unlikely it'll be ready to burn this year. Don't worry about the mould, but stack undercover with air circulation if possible. This can be as simple as an old pallet and sheet of ply or corrugated iron. But off the floor and away from walls at least.

That there is some sound advice..
In my experience, I like to season oak for at least two years. It really is among the most calorific of Firewood. But can take a bit more effort to get going, I like to throw it on after I've got a nice lot of embers, then you can just throw it on and forget about it.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
For Oak cut this year, I'd leave it split in a heap uncovered and subject to the rigors of the weather. After a few months like that (6+ if split into big lumps), I'd then stack it under cover for at least a further 6 months before I'd even consider thinking of burning it, it would be best left until next winter though as one wants as much moisture out of the wood as possible, but some of it should be viable before that, such as the smaller bits.

Cutting green splitting and staking in the shed it can take a couple of years for it to become good firewood, white mold spots are symptomatic of stacking green but nothing to worry about. Where as cutting green splitting and leaving in a wet heap, preferably in a puddle, for several months accelerates the drying process once it's subsequently stacked and undercover. I know this seems rather perverse and counter intuitive but I find this method works best for me.

The exceptions are soft woods, except native pine which also benefits from some weather exposure plus 6 months in the shed, and softer hard woods such as birch etc, that stuff is best stacked straight away as it's relatively fast drying and therefore fast rotting.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The more the bare wood without bark is exposed to the air the quicker it will dry. Thats why split wood dries much much faster.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I would get it cut, split and stacked asap but somewhere with a lot of air movement

Can be a bugger to split seasoned rings. You can swing with all your might just the have the maul bounce off. I tend to let a chainsaw do the work on logs like that.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Can be a bugger to split seasoned rings. You can swing with all your might just the have the maul bounce off. I tend to let a chainsaw do the work on logs like that.

The OP said the oak tree was felled only a few months since, it will still be very green....
Try using a spiral splitter on seasoned rings (any wood), awesome machine. I built my own, best thing I did, and any way am getting a bit old to be swinging an axe alll day:)

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Chop it up and burn it when it's seasoned, by all means. But keep a few good lumps back. I kept a few select bits back about 8 years ago. I wasn't quite sure why, but now I have a use for some thoroughly seasoned oak, I'm glad I did. One piece will make a great foot stool, low table, with some nice iron leg work under it, all nicely polished on the top(eventually). A few other bits will come for some knife scales(eventually.....), or a chopping board(soon).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE