Most reliable fishing reel under £25?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
My recent foray on the Ardnamurchan peninsula has finished off my £4.99 spinning reel! Now I am looking for something a little better but want to stick with the food for free (or as little as I can get away with!) concept.

I will use it mainly for spinning for sea fish and inland for trout etc.

My main criteria are:

Durability, compact, under £25 and able to use with my telescopic rod.

Any recommendations?

uncleboo

Jul 30, 2008
Lanarkshire
Any of the Far Eastern companies selling on E-bay, most tackle sold today is of Chinese origin anyway, regardless of brand.
I've had a few and they perform faultlessly and cheap enough to be almost disposable!!

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I use Shimano, Youngs centrepin, Abu and the much cheaper Okuma fixed spool reels, these Okuma are absolutely a fine reel for the money.
I've used them for spinning from rocks to pike fishing on canals, If I take someone new to the sport I let them use an Okuma, if they drop it and break it (which I doubt) it didn't cost me much anyway. ;)

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
if heard good things about the okuma reels also, but i ended up going for ye old mitchel reel as it was on a special. Depending on your location take a wander through to glasgow angling center loads of choice there.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Yes I have an okuma reel as well, although it's a multiplier, and it's very good. Mitchell's are good too, I've used a few, good value.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
I'd go for Shimano or Daiwa. I have some more expensive Daiwa's and a few cheaper ones (€ 20,-) and they do the job excellently. My fishing buddy always uses Okuma (though a pricier model than what you want) and it's done its job very well also.

PS: Avatar caught with Daiwa Regal-Z reel ;-)

Aug 31, 2007
Northampton
It's a friday night so i'm in a good mood, and although I don't believe in it, a bit of karma never did anyone any harm. As I now live in Northampton which isn't that far from being the farthest place from the sea, drop me you address and i'll pop my old reel in the post (fixed spool okuma, in perfect working nick).

Dave

Martin1

Dec 29, 2009
E. Yorks. UK
I used to be an avid fisherman 30 odd years ago. I still have all my old gear and my late fathers. I was going to sell it but then after having seen just how cheap new stuff is these days I didn't as its worth s.f.a really by what I can gather.
Which leads me to your question. Have you considered looking on FleaBay? You can get some of the really old but good gear on there dirt cheap. Like my Mitchell 300 series fixed spool real etc. A classic in its day.
But I am sure all the cheap new gear is as good if not better probably now. Carbon rods and such.
( I still have a Spanish reed rod of my dads.:))

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Just try and get one with as many ball bearings in the drive that you can afford, Abu Garcia and Shimano are my 2 favorites and everytime I add a new reel to the pile, it is one of those 2 brands.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for the Okumas, I bought one on the bay last year and it's really nicely put together. Great value for money and a reel of similar spec 10 years ago would have cost nearer £75.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE