Modifying the Cold Steel Trail Hawk, an instructional...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Has anyone here used little mini wedges to tighten up a hawk head? Tried this on my Norse hawk. I tapped in some wedges on the underside of the head. This limits the function because you can't easily take the head off, but theoretically the head won't pop down in heavier chopping. I just hate the look of tape underneath the hawk head.

I am going to eventually order some leather cordage to help aid in that area. Looks 1,000% better than tape!

You really don't need any form of wedge or tape etc to keep the head on. A few taps ona firm suface and it will stay snug even when you're beating on it. Unless of course it's actually happened to you?

In that case you could always use the grub screw it came with.. ugly but kind of fit for purpose.

Those fancy leather things will just thicken the handle and get in the way, I doubt you could tie them tight enough to genuinely hold the head in place if it's not staying tight. Or.. you can warm up the head to make the steel expand and then force it on the handle, when it cools it'll hold on like no mans business. I've heard of guys putting the head in the oven for a short while so it's hot but not too hot to hold, then fitting on the head. Providing you don't cook it for too long or too hot it won't spoil the temper.

You really don't need any form of wedge or tape etc to keep the head on. A few taps ona firm suface and it will stay snug even when you're beating on it. Unless of course it's actually happened to you?

In that case you could always use the grub screw it came with.. ugly but kind of fit for purpose.

Those fancy leather things will just thicken the handle and get in the way, I doubt you could tie them tight enough to genuinely hold the head in place if it's not staying tight. Or.. you can warm up the head to make the steel expand and then force it on the handle, when it cools it'll hold on like no mans business. I've heard of guys putting the head in the oven for a short while so it's hot but not too hot to hold, then fitting on the head. Providing you don't cook it for too long or too hot it won't spoil the temper.

Thanks for the reply brother. You're probably right about the leather but I'm going to give that a try anyway. I've heard of sticking the head in an oven. Something else I've heard and may try is to simply leave the hatchet in your car on a hot summer day. Take the 'Hawk out of the car and tap it down.

I was just curious if anything else has used the wedging technique!

Thanks for the reply brother. You're probably right about the leather but I'm going to give that a try anyway. I've heard of sticking the head in an oven. Something else I've heard and may try is to simply leave the hatchet in your car on a hot summer day. Take the 'Hawk out of the car and tap it down.

I was just curious if anything else has used the wedging technique!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Won't just putting the leather on soaking wet and as tight as possible sort this issue out. As it dries out it should become incredibly tight and bind the head on without movement.
This is how I would imagine it was intended for pack travel considering its original origin of climate.

mvmbushcraft

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow
HI all - great thread !
And timely !
Just got mine now in the post!

Could I ask for your advices -
Relating to the handle length ?

How long ?
(Initial length feels and looks excessive to me)

Could you please advise ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
HI all - great thread !
And timely !
Just got mine now in the post!

Could I ask for your advices -
Relating to the handle length ?

How long ?
(Initial length feels and looks excessive to me)

Could you please advise ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Really is up to how long your arms are and how long you want it to be ..

Try holding it further up the handle and do some chopping, if it feels too long hold an inche higher up and try again. Keep repeating until you find the right length for how hard you swing the axe and what feels best. Remember the heads are light weight and do benefit from longer handles to help cutting power but will just be clumbsy and overly long if you're trying to cut up something small and holding under head.

mvmbushcraft

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow
Thank you both for the reply
Would say that the old saying
---measure from elbow to tip of middle finger---
To be about right then ?
Hmm need to try that out

M

reach out for the sunrise

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE