Modern clothing vs old-a viking experiment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I'm reading a book about an American traveller who comissioned a viking boat replica (knarr) to be built to retrace the route taken by Leif the Lucky on his travels to find Vinland (Newfoundland) from Greenland a thousand odd years ago. http://www.rambles.net/carter_viking.html
Anyway, one thing the author wanted to do was to try out a traditional viking (yes, I know they weren't called 'vikings' but it'll do for now..) garb against the modern sailing clothing for arctic waters. Obviously sailing an open decked square rigger across the Acrtic seas would involve getting pretty wet and cold. The modern gear did just that and no matter what they did they couldn't keep the wet out and once in they froze. The author was wearing layers of linen undergarments then layers of wool kyrtles, then a leather 'overcoat'. As he was wandering around the boat, the warm air expelled from the wrist cuffs kept his hands reasonably warm, and even after a good soaking, he remained warm. After one day of this superior clothing, he decided to remain in his viking garb for the whole journey (apart form days stuck on land when they went hiking etc) and he was convinced it was far superior to the modern clothing. So much for technological advances! The only snag was of course the weight of the clothing, even before it got soaked, but it didn't hinder him he just got used to it.

The book is a great read and recommended to anyone interested in viking history and Acrtic adventuring. As the author said, historians say all kinds of things which he could contradict because he had actually tried them out and found different theories based on experience. For example, they say that vikings went travelling far to trade and find new land. As the author states, the adventurous 'feeling' they experienced would have been enough to inspire the vikings to travel on it's own!

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
After 20 years of Dark Age reenactment (retd :rolleyes: ), I can't say I've ever encountered UK weather that enough layers of greasy wool won't cope with. A leather layer on top, even unproofed, would help as most of the water would run off, I guess (never tried it)

Like he said, you get used to the weight (which is considerable), and it's not so bad once one is used to struggling around in mail anyway.

It was always one of my major justifications for authenticity - the stuff actually WORKS.

Jim.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A lot of gamekeepers still wear wool tweed cloth on the Scottish hills today.

Currently wool is back in vogue as a base layer.

K I S S

Keep It Simple Stupid.

If it's not broken don't fix it!

Modern clothing usually steals ideas from the past and reinvents them.
Alot of it is in the mind. We have this mindset that if we don't wear gortex then we will die from hypophermia, which is not true.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
When I'm doing living history I wear linen and wool. I'm never cold. Even in the evenings, when I could change back into my modern clothes I often just stay in period because the stuff is so warm.

Neil, why not make yourself a Swannie. The pattern is simple and it's easy to showerproof wool cloth. Just stick it in the washing machine and put five or six times the normal amount of fabric conditioner in. There's lanolin in fabric conditioner (it's what keeps sheep waterproof) and such a concentrated amount will make the woolen garment extremely showerproof. Even the original Swannies are not waterproof.

Eric

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
There is a thread here somewhere on making a blanket shirt. Bearclaw sales blankets or a charity shop or army surplus. Pointnorth also supply wool at reasonable price.

Get two and you could make a capote as well and have two layer. On second thoughts if they are at the right price buy three and you have a blanket for sleeping in as well.

James

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
That sounds very familiar Spacemonkey. I seem to remember seeing a TV programme on that too (I could have just read it somewhere though). Really interesting stuff. Proves yet again that it's damn dificult to improve on Nature.

I have a particular interest in the 'Dark Ages'. Yeah I know, just like your use of the term Viking, it's shorthand innit. Academics so often get things wrong, especially when they assert with great authority so many things that neither ring true instinctively nor make any sense at all in practice. The only real way to come close to learning about things is to live it.

Right, now to prove my own ignorance, gentlemen pray tell, what is a swannie?

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
There have been a couple of posts on natural materials before, I personally prefer them as I have so far found them to be more robust and have less impact on the environment. The down side is that I cannot carry as much as most "hikers" and therefore have to do without some luxuries. Ideally I would like my whole kit to come from natural sources but I think this is a bit of a pipe dream.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I find wool itchy though, but I do wear my Norwegian wooly pully in the winter. incidently if anyone is interested in CHEAP genuine Norwegian jumpers, then try http://www.volund.no/ Their site doesn't list prices yet, so you have to email, but the one i like and will order soon is at 898 NK, which is roughly £78 at the mo'. Bearing in mind that most Norwegian jumpers are £200+ then they are indeed a bargain.

Do Swanndry's itch??

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Swannies do itch but you actually get to like it. Thats what Roger of Bison Bushcraft told me when I bought my Bushshirt off him.
And its true!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Spacemonkey said:
I find wool itchy though, but I do wear my Norwegian wooly pully in the winter. incidently if anyone is interested in CHEAP genuine Norwegian jumpers, then try http://www.volund.no/ Their site doesn't list prices yet, so you have to email, but the one i like and will order soon is at 898 NK, which is roughly £78 at the mo'. Bearing in mind that most Norwegian jumpers are £200+ then they are indeed a bargain.

Do Swanndry's itch??
Or www.devold.no if you've a large credit allowance :D
I have never noticed the itch in wool, and it seems to be the perfect fabric. After all, if it keeps sheep dry and warm in the s**ttiest of weather, why not use it?
Best sleeping bags are still down, best jumpers are still wool - is there a pattern emerging?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE