MOD Survival Knife- What to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Pete E said:
I have an old MOD survival knife at home which is missing the handle and the sheath.
Pete

Is it an old "old" MOD survival knife or an old "new" MOD survival knife ????

The old MOD survival knife was made by WS and a lot better than the new POS sharpened pry bar.

I have an old WS that i refinished the handles on and made a sheath for.

395_9534_1.jpg

It's a pretty good heavy duty camp knife but i have since moved on to a GB SFA for those type of duties.

rb

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Pete E said:
I have an old MOD survival knife at home which is missing the handle and the sheath.

At one time I had designs to put a handle on it myself, but seeing as i can't knock a nail in straight, i have thought better of it.

So is the blade worth doing any custom work on? Would you reshape the blade or simply put a handle on it..

Does anybody know someone who can do the work with out charging an arm and a leg...

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

Unlike the original WS MOD's (pictured rapidboy's a post), some more recent models were found by Mike Stewart (Bark River) to be only surfaced hardened. That condition would limit what could be done to modify the blade. Does yours have a maker's name?

Tom

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Current MOD4 knives are made by J Adams. Rockwell is 54 of a plain carbon steel with a small percentile of nickel. The older WS are lovely and closely match the Martindale paratrooper machete. 'Out of the box' J Adams come with a left handed leather sheath insulting to the sacrifice of the animal. Throw it away. The black fiber handles are impossible to sand. Buy the civilian wood version and sanding improves the very uncomfortable grip. The guard is spotwelded and a rare accident can break it free. The 1/4" thick blade has virtually no edge and a horrid angle. It is readilly reprofiled due to the soft temper. Sadly, it loses the edge almost as fast. I locked myself in an abandoned caravan and picked a fight with my MOD4. It took the better part of an hour hacking,prying and smashing through marine plywood, duraluminum skin, electrical conduit and fiberglass insulation. The edge was a hopeless mess. In fairness though a fine mill file brought it back to usefullness in short order. For all the shortcomings, I would love an older WS. For all the empirical shortcomings, it still works somehow.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Gents,

The knife is about 20years old i suspect and had a horrible blocky wooden handle and the guard was spot welded on by the looks of it. The blade it self has no markings on it at all.

I suspect it is therefore one of the poor quality new versions?

Regards,

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE