Mini Drawknife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
One of the YouTube woodworkers that I watch is Rex Krueger, and in a video of his he used a tiny drawknife to shape the tenons on the ends of some stool legs. Apparently the drawknife was the Gramercy Tools Spoonmaker's Drawknife. It was based on a Saxon era tool, and I really wanted one. However, at 80 dollars, plus shipping and Royal Mail ransom charges, it was a bit pricey for me.

So I thought I would make my own, blatantly ripping off their design! Made from some old leaf spring, the blade is a little over two inches long, with a 25 degree primary bevel.

Mini_drawknife by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Here it is with my other drawknives. The new one will hopefully be good for delicate work, as well as being more compact to go in a small tool pouch.

Drawknives by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Here in action. Obviously the thumb grip hold is not going to give much leverage for breaking away large amounts of waste wood!

In action by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

And finally a simple leather pouch to protect it.

Simple pouch by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Time will tell if it will be as useful as I hope, but at least it won't have cost me much if it turns out not to be.

Thanks for looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE