Mil-tec Swedish mess kit clone, it’s alright.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I know some people don’t have high expectations when this brand is mentioned but the this example is not bad.

I acquired the mess kit parts separately and just the pot is Mil-tec. I have seen the set for sale with the copy pot and all other parts advertised as issued.

The pot is aluminium, I’m not sure if they offer a steel model. I don’t have an original to compare to but the pot stacks with the wind shield as it should.

Negatives

• The pot feels relatively thin and I have been told it isn’t as thick and the original.
• The bail handle had the notches for the hook but doesn’t have the hook fitted.
• The lid/pan has the folding handle but this is very loose and lacks the D-rings.

Positives

• Cheaper and easier to find than the original.
• Works with the original parts.
• Mine has lasted six months of being used once or twice a week without issue.

General thoughts and use

I was concerned about the pot being flimsy and painted it with several coats of bbq paint. This was probably not necessary however.

I used some thick garden wire to make rough d-rings for a handle. I didn’t have wire wasn’t strong enough to make a hanging hook, but not having this hasn’t been a problem.

I haven’t been able to tighten the lid hinge but carving a decent wooden handle with a step would solve the problem.

The set will fit in a respirator pouch (such as USGI molle one or the M17 moon bag) along with a Trangia fuel bottle. I don’t store fuel inside. I empty the burner and put it in a zip lock bag.

I have cooked and boiled water in the set using a gel burner and fire dragon blocks. This does work but not as good as the spirit burner.
The pot base sits 1.25 inches above the issue burner, which is optimal.

You can use the wind shield upside down over a fire, I’ve yet to try this. Or as a pan stand with the burner “hanging” from the internal wire arms, it’s a little fiddly but an option with a different pot.

A Kupilka 21 cup will fit inside the issue courser and stack inside along with the typical sundries: burner; cutlery; pot cloth; scourer, meal components, fire starter. I keep the fuel outside and have used about 150ml of meths over for several dozen uses.

The pot shape allows it to hold two typical boil in the bag meals and cook heat them evenly.

Overall view

The system is a reasonable option for to two people as it’s a little bulky.
The traditional Trangia set that supports the burner off the ground might be better in some situations.
The Mil-tec pot is fine and you can usually get it at a decent price. The original wind shield and accessories are still readily available.

Last edited:

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Surplus is a funny business. A Duchy of Fenwick raincape becomes available for tuppence
And becomes popular. Then one day stocks run out and prices escalate faster than the great tulip fad. Then the copies; good, bad and the ugly.
I learned to buy multiples of good kit. It’s not speculation , but wanting a backup and to gift. I also learned there are always alternatives. The Swedish forces , such as they are. Seem to be. Eating warm food on maneuvers
Today. shovels are suddenly popular in Mother Russia , so scratch that option.
If it works, you like it cheers! But
Buying must have gear at any price calls for a wack up side of the head; preferably not by a Russian

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmundo

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I would love that & it’s on the list.

The vettting process prior to any purchase involves “the management” and a risk assessment as to life expectancy reduction. ;)

I brief all retailersI use to give the stock answer “He spent £15 quid” if there is an enquiry. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst and MrEd

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I’ve just received a cutting board from an eBay seller made to fit the Swedish mess tin.
The one I received fits inside the pot lid and will sit on the “shoulder” of it. It will go in the main pot at a slight angle.
It’s pretty light, slightly flexible and 2-3mm thick.
You could do it yourself but I quite like knick-knack’s that peope made.
It’s certainly up to the job of food preperation or as a light work mat. Just something that adds to the utility of the mess kit.

Reactions: Erbswurst

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I had a Swedish mess kitfor ages but this year there were two homeless lads living on a bit of local waste ground and after a bit of thought I figured it's ability to be used over a campfire made it more suitable than other stoves.
I reckon their need was greater than mine and gave it to em.

Never saw em use it once :D

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Just a few images to compare to original model.

Attachments

• 3653D849-1023-43B6-89B4-D92107A6CE8E.jpeg
    3653D849-1023-43B6-89B4-D92107A6CE8E.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 12
  • CA14D9B7-C071-473F-895F-FAEA1CE26C5D.jpeg
    CA14D9B7-C071-473F-895F-FAEA1CE26C5D.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Crac

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Most of what lives in the mess kit normally.

Garden wire and stick handle

Attachments

• 2AF84B68-466B-4098-9226-BCE350FD9A7B.jpeg
    2AF84B68-466B-4098-9226-BCE350FD9A7B.jpeg
    502.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 0057F59B-C52C-4A5B-A74E-4A635820147C.jpeg
    0057F59B-C52C-4A5B-A74E-4A635820147C.jpeg
    511.2 KB · Views: 8
Dec 11, 2022
Shetland
I’ve just received a cutting board from an eBay seller made to fit the Swedish mess tin.
The one I received fits inside the pot lid and will sit on the “shoulder” of it. It will go in the main pot at a slight angle.
It’s pretty light, slightly flexible and 2-3mm thick.
You could do it yourself but I quite like knick-knack’s that peope made.
It’s certainly up to the job of food preperation or as a light work mat. Just something that adds to the utility of the mess kit.
Is that not where the mug/kuksa is supposed to sit?

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I don’t know how it should go but I fit it like this:

In the main tin SVEA burner & Tatonka simmer ring go in ziplock bag.

Kupilka inside Kuksa on top of them plus cleaning cloth. Still space for other bits.

A box of cooking matches, mini bic lighter and folded trivet go inside the lid with the cutting board covering them.

Then I turn the lid over and fit on. There’s still room for folding cutlery. I keep the fuel separately anyway. I empty the burner before packing too.

Doesn’t rattle like this and I could pad it with a bandana if that was a problem.

Reactions: billycoen

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Just a few pictures of my mess kit contents.

US resi bag with fuel and sundries, probably could squeeze a pouch meal in.33332808-6F09-48B8-90C9-A79BD5E1CDBB.jpeg

Contents apart from the mess kit. Plate, long spoon and spatula go in the slot pocket.

626111C5-F36E-4696-A55F-F853298A8D84.jpeg

What fits inside the lid
91E63CE9-2EF1-465F-B927-14E93E7DE7C7.jpeg

Main tin contents from the top down. The Trangia gel burner is an option but generally wouldn’t carry this and the meths burner. Leaving either out gives quite a bit of room.

0B7F8255-E105-412E-955F-1CF5421F0E19.jpeg

Stacked cups

E89D07B4-1E42-4729-8A9A-9280EDA7E5EA.jpeg

Everything out

7A1C9ADA-A84C-4128-ACAD-A11727BC0F24.jpeg

If left the gel burner out I could fit a food prep specific knife or cutlery and snack/drink items.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Thanks to Tengu I’ve now got my hands on an original aluminium set. I haven’t got tools handy do measurements but as a quick comparison my impressions are.

The original feels slightly thicker, including the wire handle.

FD367A5B-4CAA-467B-9953-614B689ECB28.jpeg

The bail handle differs and the organs l it tight enough to hold in place.

23AB831C-B1CF-4436-9D44-C53197987D0B.jpeg

The curve on the top edge of the lid is more pronounced. The lid is a tighter fit on the pot. The paint may be the difference.

0BE32676-E3F0-46DF-AE03-B3D01D895D1E.jpeg

The lid handle is pinned firmly enough to support it in the open position.

All minor points. The handle locking out makes it a little easier to use.

For me having two sets the same makes it simpler to do group cooking activities with the minions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crac and CLEM

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Do you know how to arrange the bale handle for pouring without need of a pot grip?

I think most people do. I’m away from home and so can’t illustrate. (Perhaps you can). With the bale horizontal (ish) hook the hook into the vertical loop on the front of the pan. You will need the second kink in the bale hoop to get there. It all locks up and you can pour hot liquids from the side.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Thanks for the information.
A weak point of the hookless miltec clone is just that. Bit of a pain when you are trying to drain spaghetti and not loose control.
I shaved down the handle of a wooden spoon so it fits the slot and I have a horizontal grip.

Reactions: CLEM and Pattree

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I keep mine in the car with a tin of chafing fuel in it, wrapped in a sleeping bag with 2 tins of food and a few bottles of water.

It's came in handy once before when the snow came in and I was stuck up a b road trying to get home, had an unexpected overnight waiting for the worst of it to melt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE