Midlands Easter Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oggie

Dec 30, 2006
Melton Mowbray
I'm local as well and would be interested if its not the Bank Holiday weekend.
As a Cub Scout (many,many years ago!) We camped in Charnwood Forest.I wonder if they still have camps there?
Oggie.

Oggie

Dec 30, 2006
Melton Mowbray
Thinking about it..
Some years ago a friend and I devised a Charity walk which we called The Lazarus Way. The 18 Miles+ route starts and finishes in Melton Mowbray.It takes in places of beauty and Historical interest.
.It follows the River Wreake through Kirby Bellars & a Nature reserve, Asfordby, Frisby where it leaves the Wreake for a 3 mile bash to Gaddesby then Ashby Folville,Thorpe Satchville..I normally stop for my break under a disused Railway bridge before Satchville where I light my fire (traditional Flint/Steel of course) and get some snap etc The Route then goes up Borough Hill Iron Age Hill Fort (the hard way!)
Then across the Dalby Hills Path to Little Dalby then through the site of the Headquarters of the Knights of St Lazarus at Burton Lazars (hence the name of the walk) to Melton and a well earned rest.
Last Saturday I did the walk in reverse order.If you stop for a long break and want to stop and take things in it takes about 8-9 hours or 6 hours if you fly around like a lunatic!
I'd like to do the walk once a month for my own fitness and to see the Seasons change,its not strictly Bushcraft but its demanding exercise in the countryside where Bushcraft skills can be used.
Good walking kit is essential and so is 3 Litres of water.
Any of you local folk want to join me for a stroll then your more than welcome.
Oggie.

Nikolai

Tenderfoot
I am trying to arrange something with the leader of the Charnwood Scouts, to see if we can have access to the 'Oaks in Charnwood' campsite. From what i remember, it is a great site with some great woods aswell. I'll keep y'all posted.

I am arranging proceedings for the 30th and 31st March and 1st and 2nd April. Is everyone OK with that (Oggie, if this is not convinient, then i will try for another weekend)? I got no feed back, so i'm arranging a time i thought might be best for everyone (start of Easter holiday, thought if anyone was going on holiday, they might do it towards the end of the holiday.)

RichUK

Jul 13, 2005
Staffordshire Moorlands
Nikolai said:
Thanks for that link mate! If the Scouts say no to Oaks In Charnwood site, then i will try and book this one.

If you want I can take some photo's of the site to show you & the members what's there, its in a deep moorland valley next to the river Dane, at the moment its covered in snow.

RichUK

Jul 13, 2005
Staffordshire Moorlands
Site Description: 48 acres of mixed woodland and open fields, with three main camping fields plus a number of smaller camping areas.

03.jpg

I didn't take any photo's of the camp where you can camp, but there were loads of flat areas near the river (see photo number 6)

I need to meet the warden at the site to have a good look around where abouts you can camp etc...

(1) Taken from about two miles away

01.jpg

(2) You can see the top of the main building

02.jpg

(3) Taken from the online map you can see Gradbach YHA and the camp site

03.jpg

(4) The fork in the road, turn left towards the camp

04.jpg

(5) The scout stone at the main gate

05.jpg

(6) Looking towards the woods, taken from the site

06.jpg

(7) Gradbach YHA down the bank, taken from the site

07.jpg

Nikolai

Tenderfoot
That looks awesome Rich! If i had spare time on my hands i would try and get pictures of Oaks in Charnwood site... but i have college work etc etc. I will try and get a go ahead from these guys, as the Scout guys havn't messaged me back unfortunatly.

EDIT: Here is the O.I.C site http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/cgi-bin...cestershire&view_records=View+Sites&nh=4&mh=1
I foolishly didnt read enough last time, as it opens on the 1st april, and i was hoping to go out on the 30th March. I will message about the Gradbach site and try and get a space.

Details so far: 30th, 31st (macrh) 1st, 2nd (april)
I will be aiming to get there about 5-6pm, due to college, possibly
later, depends on traffic, weather etc etc. Feel free to turn up
whenever you feel like. The cost will be £1-£1.50 pp (with deposit)

If you need to know anymore information, just ask me.

Nikolai

Tenderfoot
Ok guys, looks like we're heading to Gradbach! It will be £2.50 per night (£7.50 if your staying all weekend) and will be paid on the day to the Warden. I need to know numbers for everyone who is going (bring a friend if you wish). I'll give ya'll a week to confirm this, and need a number of tents too. The proposed date is from the 30th March (Morining) to the 2nd April(Afternoon/Evening).

A quick return will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Nikolai

RichUK

Jul 13, 2005
Staffordshire Moorlands
Nikolai said:
Come on guys! I need to know numbers!!

Hi Nikolai,

Well I'm on call out that week end, but you can put me down for three people and two tents from Saturday to Sunday, that's if i can swap the rota ?

What has been said about open fires, where to have them etc.. if thats possible ?

Also water, toilets, parking, what do other members want too practice during the weekend ?

Nikolai

Tenderfoot
RichUK said:
Hi Nikolai,

Well I'm on call out that week end, but you can put me down for three people and two tents from Saturday to Sunday, that's if i can swap the rota ?

What has been said about open fires, where to have them etc.. if thats possible ?

Also water, toilets, parking, what do other members want too practice during the weekend ?

I think there are area's for campfires, if not im bringing a little stove for back-up. There is toilets and parking, and i was just hoping for a little get together, learn a few things off each other, and go into the woods etc etc. I'll put you down as a possible, and we can sort something out for the rota swapping.

Nikolai

Tenderfoot
It appears most will only be able to do 2 nights, so i will put the date down as 30th March - 1st April (Friday-Sunday)

So far (confirmed):
Nikolai + 1. 2 Tents, 2 Nights - £10
Rubber + 1. 2 Tents, 2 Nights - £10
Rich + 2. 2 Tents, 1 Night - £7.50

Possibles:
Wayland
Outdoor Code
Aragorn
tecNik
Dingo
Xylaria
Fallow Way
Sugs04
Whichdoctor
Cheesemonster

Some details:
Facilities:
Toilets: Yes. Waste Disposal: Yes. Altar Fires: No. Washing Facilities: Yes. Chemical Toilet Waste Disposal: Yes. Cooking Area: Yes. Water Supply: Yes. Public Telephone: Yes. Providore: Yes. Showers: Yes. Security: No. Mail Box: Yes. Hot Shower: Yes. Car Park: Yes. Campfire Circle: Yes. Hot Water: Yes. Pioneering Poles: Yes. Bivouacking Area: (?). Cooking Utensil Washing Area: Yes. Freezer/Fridge: Yes. Chapel: Yes. Laundry: No.

On Site Activities
Orienteering
Pioneering

Local Attractions/Activities
Alton Towers
Bicycle Hire
Caving
Easy access to Buxton and the rest of the Peak District
Fishing
Horse Riding
Manchester United Football Club
Rock Climbing
Swimming

Nearest Public Transport
Train Station: Buxton/Macclesfield
Coach Station: Buxton/Longnor
Airport: Manchester

If you can make it please confirm a.s.a.p.

Many Thanks,
Nikolai

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE