Micro embers from rubbing wood together - which woods will form them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I was practicing the bamboo fire saw when I noticed something interesting. (It isn't very physically hard by the way.) When rubbing a (nearly) flat piece of big bamboo along a sharpish bamboo edge one can fairly quickly get to a point when there is smoke coming from the wood. Then it gets more interesting, little smoking bits fall from the sharp edge, and carry on smoking for a few seconds before going out. I think these are micro coals/ embers. I think the finer points of the full method to make fire gather such micro embers together to make a sustained fire.

So, I was thinking. If one could find the same phenomenon with other woods or wood combinations then they too would probably be usable in fire saw like setup to make a fire.

So, that's were I could do with your help. Have you seen this phenomenon with any woods. Have you got some wood types around you that you could try?

I have tried with large bamboo (success), elder, sycamore, pine (pallet wood). No joy so far. Each wood makes a different sort of wood fibre/ dust. Bamboo's product is brown, quite fluffy with splinters in, occasionally one is smoking for a few seconds. Elder makes a dark dust. Sycamore makes lots of dark short splinters. Commercial pine made a brown coarse dust.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Interesting :) and I'd like to hear how it goes with this :cool:

I was using an ivy hearthboard at the weekend, and the fibres from it are pretty coarse sometimes. This piece came from a bit that was as thick as my forearm. I have more if you would like to try it ?
I get a brown fibrous but not hot coal from it very quickly, but if I keep going the heat builds up and it all slowly goes black; but sometimes the fluffy stuff falls off the board in a clump and it's already glowing when it does. It needs to be past that first brown stuff is what I'm trying (and probably failing) to explain.

cheers,
Toddy

LLOOONNGGG time ago i experimented with poplar in this direction (works well for me as bow drill) - using one half of a split piece as the saw and the other half as base-but i did not get beyond smoke and dark brown dust (problem is getting enough speed/pressure on your own- aborigines usually use(d) fire saws as two-man- ""operations"" ).... . once the rain has stopped i might go and fetch some from a nearby source and give it another try with a ""split-stick"" base... .

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE