metal for flint and steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
what's the best scavangable source for metal to make myself a striker? I know some are better than others. Hacksaw blade, rebar, new nails, ancient square nails? that pretty much sums up my sources of iron at the moment.

Realgar

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Old metal files work really well and can be picked up at car boot sales cheap, each file will make up to 5 or 6 'steels'.
Make sure they are of some age though as modern files do not seem to have the same temper of the older tools.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yep cheap metals tools are best here as they are usually high in carbon and being cheap disposable!!

hootchi

Settler
Yup, high carbon steel is what you want, files from car boot sales and old springs are normally suitable, generally the older the better. If you need to know how to prepare it i think it goes something like this:
1. Heat it to non-magnetic(approx cherry red) and hold it for a while.
2. The steel should develop a grain which shows in the crystal structure of the steel. This makes much larger sparks.
3. Quench it in water and grind of the decarbed surface.
The quality of the flint also effects the size of the sparks so experiment.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Farriers use large rasps that make wonderfull blanks for knives, strikers etc. Once worn out they usually just toss them out. Old railroad spikes are another odd source for excellent steel. A few people make knives from them, the offset head making a handy hammer, the handle twisted fancy and various blade profiles forged and filed from the one piece.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
As the others have said look out for old files by Sheffield makers with makers names stamped near the tang, a lot of the cheap modern and often no name stuff is inferior case hardened steel, you wont be able to harden it. If you find old files marked Stubbs these are made from silver steel, a superb virtually stainless high carbon, excellent for knives and quite underrated IMO.

To check whether you have high carbon steel heat a small piece and quench it, if it is high carbon a good file should just skate over the surface without biting.

Keep meaning to forge myself a steel!

Jason

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Heres one i made out of an old rat tail file works a treat
Picture1107.jpg

Picture1109.jpg

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Files are nice, garage door springs work very well, car springs also work (but are bit lower carbon so don't spark as vigorously).

Nails - assuming they are not masonry nails - are usually only mild steel, you need the carbon for the sparks.

I hang onto old files for knife blades, and use the garage door springs instead ;)

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
It just so happens I have a lot of old worn out rat tail files, as soon as I've moved it's time to get a forge built and try bending a couple of them,
cheers
Realgar

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
just as a side not here.. dose anyone know of a book about setting up a basic forge and some of the few basic principles.. that they can reckomend?

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Best place to ask is on British Blades, I've picked up the basics from browsing various knifemaking forums and I have a book called The Complete Modern Blacksmith by Alexander G Weygers ISBN 0-89815-896-6 which isnt bad.

Just made this one, from the blade of an old pair of worn out ice hockey skates! I only quenched the edge but Im still concerned it might shatter at some point, I know from experience that this stuff can be like glass if it isnt tempered.

vikingsteel.jpg

I managed to produce an ember very easily with this, less than a dozen strikes, but you do have to have char cloth, I think it woul be very difficult without char.

I burned my fingers making this damn thing!

Heres some cool viking steels
Steels

Jason

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
tomtom said:
just as a side not here.. dose anyone know of a book about setting up a basic forge and some of the few basic principles.. that they can reckomend?

Yes.

:eek:):

I'd look at something like Tim McCreight's books, as he tends to do things on a shoestring (which is great until you start deciding that this is another avenue for collecting tools...)

For basic forges, have a look in the gallery for the BCUK meet photos - forges don't really come much more basic than that!

The COSIRA books are good - I bought the print edition, but you can download the pdfs for free (which I did, *then* spent money too). http://www.countryside.gov.uk/Publications/articles/Publication_tcm2-7482.asp

Weygers is so-so in my opinion, I just couldn't get along with it. Have a look at Amazon for some others - Bealer is fun, but there are a few things he glosses over.

Depends what you want to make as much as anything else.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
tomtom said:
Ive made one out of an old Fiesta wheel and an old hoover worked a treat :biggthump

hootchi

Settler
tomtom said:
Have you heard about the one brick forge.

Essentially one brick turned into a small forge big enough to heat one file. Drill a 1'' ish diameter hole down the length of the brick (not to the end) for the file to go in. A smaller hole the same size of a blowtorch nozzle is drilled into the central channel from the side of the brick.

Ignite blowtorch and away you go. :f:

I dont know the forging detail but can be picked up from B Blades of which i am a member :eek:):

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Heres another firesteel link:-

Firesteels

Great site with some information on making steels and pictures of numerous different styles all nicely forged.

Jason

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
tomtom said:

If you can find it 'First steps in village mechanisation' tells you how to go from one or two simple tools to a fairly complete workshop. try any other "appropriate development" books aimed at people working for development NGOs.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Good reminder - I'd forgotten that source.

"Basic Blacksmithing: An Introduction to Toolmaking", David Harries, Bernhard Heer is aimed at assisting 3rd world countries in getting started in practical (i.e. tools!) blacksmithing. They have a lot of useful suggestions on using local materials, and demonstrate just how primitive you can go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE