Merino Layering Systems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

Gripper

Hi

Thought I would share this info with people here, not sure that it will be of interest to everyone as it's in OZ but a friend of mine who sells Merino Layering Systems to the Australian SAS and Customs has just started to sell it (and some other kit) via a new website at www.missionpac.com I have had some of the Merino gear for a year now and have to say that I wear it daily. Hope you find it of some interest.

Cheers

Mark

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Looks like he sells some quality garments.

But Im just so fixated with Ullfrotte...I'v been wearing Ullfrotte for ages now and its so toasty, I just love it! It has a dowside though, as its not very hard wearing, it goes 'bobbly' after some use and threads get pulled in it easily. Probarbly an advantage of missionpac.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Nice gear, but at 20 quid plus for shipping to the UK, it's not a goer for me :(

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
sharp88 said:
Looks like he sells some quality garments.

But Im just so fixated with Ullfrotte...I'v been wearing Ullfrotte for ages now and its so toasty, I just love it! It has a dowside though, as its not very hard wearing, it goes 'bobbly' after some use and threads get pulled in it easily. Probarbly an advantage of missionpac.

Yeah, my Ullfrotte looks worn too, but isnt it only the outher threads that look worn? The loops(frotte) should be pretty hard wearing since its mixed with synthetics and can be washed at 60degrees C if I recall correctly. Ordered this directly from the factory for my wilderness school with very good prices.

Merino is pure wool and wouldnt be as hard wearing as frotte imho.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I dunno, but all my merino gear seems to be holding up well - even after repeated high-temperature washes. It's wool, but not as we know it, Jim. ;)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah ullfrotte must be the best, if not one of the best. Should be for the price Ray Mears puts it up for. I sometimes think its fate that when im typing in the adress to his website, I get the typo ratmears instead of raymears. You can always trust Scandinavians for quality clothes and tools. I think my ullfrotte 200g shrunk in the wash - either that or too many donuts.

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I’ve tried both Ullfrotte and Icebreaker and found them quite different. I save the Icebreaker for the mountains where its quick wicking keeps me cooler and dryer when exercising hard and I use the Ullfrotte for mooching about woodland ‘cos its super comfy and green! :D

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I dunno, maybe I'm biased but I'm really against using wool for a base layer. I've got a huge amount of respect for Helly Hansen's improved Lifa polypropylene and I've been using it for years. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wool, it just doesn't "do it" for me. Am I the only one out there who's a synthetic baselayer kinda guy?

Just my two cents,

Adam

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I used to wear fleece, but I found it didnt give me the insulation that wool did. I wore Lowe alpine or what used to be called Lowe alpine, alot, but for the price, it just so wasnt worth it. I trust the swedish far more that any.....what, where does that lowe alpine crud come from anyway? Heck Ullfrotte even has the seamstriss' name on the label.

Most of all Im a synthetics hater, I hate the idea of wearing a piece of plastic and I just hate the finish of plastic and plastic type things full stop.

I resorted to wool when I found good insulational properties in marks & spencers merino wool vests and these lovely pure wool devonshire jumpers, I cant remember the name of them, somthing beggining with a K...... After that I read Rat.....sorry Ray Mears' book and discovered ullfrotte on his website. Its been a love story ever since.

G

Gripper

I was a big fan of Patagonia thermals for ages but I have to say that since I started wearing the missionpac merino wear I hardly seem to take the stuff off. I wear the lightweight crew neck as an under shirt during the day and also at night if it's chilly and the zip polo I wear under my Swanndri Ranger shirt when in the bush. Missionpac are bringing out a super fine merino in a month or two and I was lucky enough to get a trial long sleeve and have to say it's the best I've ever worn. Nice to sit around the camp fire in and not worry about the stuff melting too...

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE