Mary Rose Tankard in the making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
I’ve modelled this on the shape of those recovered from Henry VIII's Mary Rose .

Similar to the traditional Jack of the medieval tavern was sometimes coated both inside and outside with pitch or blackjack.

Broad based for shipboard stability, this design has latterly become the traditional tankard shape.

DSCF1455.jpg

DSCF1453.jpg

The dark tankard is coated on the inside with brewers pitch but this one will be immersed in beeswax so should set really hard and last a goodly while.

DSCF1446.jpg

What else but….cheers and good ale

Mike

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Very nice Mike. It'd be nice if you and I could meet up at some future time and look at each other's techniques. The stuff we are knocking out is very similar in many ways it's almost spooky, but there are real differences too.

Eric

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
Very nice Mike. It'd be nice if you and I could meet up at some future time and look at each other's techniques. The stuff we are knocking out is very similar in many ways it's almost spooky, but there are real differences too.

Eric

It would certainly be an interesting meeting. Hopefully one day....

I've a few orders to finish but my next planned project is either an Elizabethan Bombard or a Jack from the Peninsular War period. I think the jack option might see brewers pitch again though as it would be more fitting for the period.

Cheers
Mike

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
bdooly fantastic mate! i went to the portsmouth historic dockyard myself with the family last month,did victory and warrior,we are going back to look at the mary rose stuff in the winter.did you see the horn cups on victory? ime gonna make one of those!
could you do a 'how to' on the leather mug? please!

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
Thanks all, as I said earlier, my photo-skills, while ok for my portrait shots (my preferred style) are not really up to tutorials methinks, however, I've a few orders to finish but my next planned project is either an Elizabethan Bombard or a Jack from the Peninsular War period.

Very similar construction technique and treatment so I'll see what sort of mess I can make of a tutorial!

Cheers
Mike

Brilliant work! Can you post some information on the cut-out plans for the leather, and perhaps a description of how you sewed it, and anything else you can think of? My first thought was - won't the liquid soak into it, then I read the beeswax part. Silly me.

Cheers,

Mungo

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
What is brewers pitch?

Brewer's pitch is a kind or tar. It's solid in form but melts when heated. It is used to line and waterproof the insides of leather drinking vessels and is often used to seal the base of a horn drinking cup where a wooden plug is used for the base.

It differs in composition from roofing pitch inasmuch as it's non toxic, whereas roofing pitch is not of food quality.

EEC directives have banned the sale of brewer's pitch nowadays although you can still pick it up from some places. There's no way for you or me to be able to tell the difference between the two and there are some unscrupulous traders who will sell you roofing pitch as brewer's pitch and pocket a massive mark up on the price. I believe this is the main reason for the ban on it's use. It is certainly the reason I have stopped using it and have gone exclusively to hot dipping with beeswax. It is also the reason LePrevo Leathers have stopped selling it.

Eric

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
Brewers pitch was a form of pine pitch, traditionally used to caulk the inside of wooden beer barrels. Early vessels were sealed with a good many things, the most common being boiled birch sap, this turns black when boiled hence the generic term of Blackjack for many drinking vessels, later just shortened to a Jack.

The term Jack continued until Nelsons time when they became known as Boots, hence the naval phrase "Fill your Boots"

Cheers
Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE