Marathon De Sables

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 15, 2004
Ireland
I've asked in other threads and forums about this event, but basically I'm wondering if a currently non-runner could train for and complete this event in the next two years? If so, what kind of running plan should I be looking at? My mate wants to do this mad event and if he's willing I'll go with!
I'll be contacting Richard Donovan as he's the closest guy to me who's done this type event, or seven of these events!
Any advice is appreciated though lads!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
That's one tough run!

Two years should be plenty of time if you are generally fit and motivated enough to stick to a serious training regime for the three to six months prior to the race.
Good luck. I won't see you there though ;)

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
Very interested myself- how do you go about applying? Still not sure that I'm not mad for thinking about it, though... ;)

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I know very little about long distance races but I saw a documentary about a year ago in which Ben Fogle took part (and completed) the race with really very little pre-race training. The one thing that stood out was that above all else, you absolutely needed to know how to look after your feet. The sand and heat causing blistering and swelling was the major reason for people not being able to finish. The race medics are French, and it was quite unnerving to see how they dealt with blisters. There was a lot of blood and bandages involved!

So good shoes (with room for swelling, eg +2 sizes), two pairs of sand-proof gaiters, gaffer tape, blister kits, sun protection, hat seemed essential kit.

Best of luck, it would undoubtedly be an absolultely incredible experience.

Some info here.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Dr Mike Stroud was the first Briton to complete the race. If you consider he's a doctor and an exceptional athlete and he had a tough time of it, you might want to put it off to five years or so. If you read his book "Survival of the Fittest", he describes the event in detail... including terrifying cases of heatstroke.
I'd suggest you spend at least two years on endurance training. I very strongly recommend the SERIOUS (that's an acronym) system as described in the book "SERIOUS Training for Endurance Athletes" by Rob Sleamaker. Also consider getting textbooks on sports nutrition, and some on adventure racing to see other people's experiences. Also Stroud's book covers the medical/physio info you'll need for the race.
Best of luck. I hope to run it myself one day.

Lost in civilisation

Feb 19, 2005
england
Your pain threshold could be a major factor if you do have problems with your feet. Some of the guys on the tv programme may have well taken as taken an electric sander to their feet with the state they were in. :eek:

Good luck if you go for it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE