Making a knife with a small tang blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
Made a bit of a mistake and ordered a knife blade that has a very thin tang and no predrilled holes. Anyone know how I can fit it with a handle? Am I going to have to use two scales and rout out the shape and depth of the tang from one scale before drilling holes through the tang and then fitting the scales?

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
You have a number of options, but the simplest is using glue - a strong 2-part epoxy.

If you can drill/scrape out a hole in your handle material that you can slip the tang into, you won't have to use two slabs with the tang inlet half way into both halves. But you can also do that. A good epoxy will be more than strong enough to hold the tang in the handle - without any pins. But you can drill and pin if you wish.

And epoxy will fill up any gaps or voids in and around your tang in your handle. If you have a large gap, mixing in a little of the sawdust from your handle will help blend it in with the rest of the handle.

Don't be afraid to use more than enough epoxy. It's pretty easy to clean off the excess, but you can have problems trying to add more in to fill any gaps/voids.

Some knife makers just use pins to attach the handle, but you have to have a pretty close fit. Some just use epoxy, where a good fit is best but the epoxy helps "smooth" things out. And many makers use both - they glue the handle on, and then drill/pin it after the epoxy has set.

So you have a number of choices. It all depends upon what you want to end up with.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mike Ameling

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Another option is to use 3 pieces. 2 scales and a centre piece with the tang shape cut out of it. It needs to be a tad (technical term meaning half a smidge ;) ) thicker than the tang. then you can layer everything together with epoxy. Make sure you have a slow (precision) epoxy to give you a decent working time. All the bits have to be very flat to get a good fit and don't skimp on the glue or clamps.

I have put together a stick tanged blade using a drilled handle too. You need to put on a ferule to hide the ugly hole. I used a 2 part bufalo horn ferule but I'm not really geared up for metalwork.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE