Making a DIY travel Bucksaw out of wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi!

Last weeks I've been working on a video on making a wooden travel bucksaw. Easy to pack and ready for the big job!
I just published it on Youtube.
Hope some people get enthousiast and start building their own!
I also would be happy to see photo's of the results!

[video=youtube;Pa-C5Codymc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa-C5Codymc[/video]

BFtiws9BxOK

Last edited:

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Very nice detailed vid of parts needed for the assembly of the buck saw.

Thank's for taking the time to post it :)

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Nice work Nic :)

I made one a while back from an oak flooring board, a good, fun project as you say.

Personally I use the blade version meant for dry wood, rather than for green wood that you show. The green wood blade is meant for pruning or cutting down of live wood with a lot of sap present, whereas the main use for me anyway of this type of saw in a bushcraft context is for cutting of dead/dry wood for firewood which is most efficient with the blade type designed for that, the tooth pattern and spacing being different. The two types of blade will work okay in both types of application to an extent, just that they work that bit better and more efficiently if used as designed.

The other thought is, that it's possible to make the uprights so that they remain bolted to the blade and just fold over with the slots in them covering the blade teeth, rather than having to undo the bolts and fit/unfit the blade each time, with the risk of dropping and losing nuts, bolts, washers etc.

I did cut the components on mine a little too thin in an attempt to lighten it and make it more packable, and ended up after some uses with breaking a key bit and demoting it to the kindling pile sadly ! Here's some pics while it was still operational ! :)

The second picture shows mine fitted with a green wood blade too. After a couple of uses I swapped it for a dry wood blade and found that worked better as mentioned above.

Cheers, Paul

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Hi Paul,
That was a really nice folding bucksaw. Sorry to hear it broke on you but having made one, I guess you'll be making another with thicker components. Looks like it would have been a very useful bit of kit.

that looks good Paul, It is kind of the same indeed ;)
The oak has also a nice colour! Too bad it broke down :(

I do also only saw dead and dry wood.
But as I go on bivouacs in winter and in rain, I found out a blade for wet wood worked better in all circumstances.
Wood in the forest will have always have more moisture in it as wood from the store, that's the reason I took this blade.

People which try to saw living wood are breaking the forest down, that's no bushcraft for me...:p

have fun!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE