Make a whistle!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoorsman

Feb 24, 2007
Wiltshire
...from a willow branch I'm sure this has been shown before, but what the hell! found this video *here* pretty cool, I'll see if i can give it a go over the weekend. perhaps more interesting is that this guy has a bushcraft series starting in june on a online tv channel called ''vision on tv'' going by this video i think its deffinatly worth checking out.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I think that's Andrew Price from Dryad Bushcraft who ran a couple of workshops at the Summer moot. Really nice guy with a lot of knowledge. Good on him if he's got a TV break.

Pablo

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
I think that you can make these into recorders by putting a longer split on the inner bit and putting notches in the top but I am not sure how to do it.

cccc

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2007
North Hampshire
Outdoorsman said:
...from a willow branch

That was great, many thanks for posting it, we had a go and after a second attempt ( I didnt follow the instructions ! ) we got a great sound !

IMG_0533.jpg

Now the other two want a go...

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Tor helge said:
No. You could also use rowan.

Tor

Actually, I prefer rowan, because it doesn't have the small lumps under the bark which the willow has. Those lumps can ruin the bark. It is easier to find longer and smooth sections of rowan.

I know of people who also has made such whistles of birch.

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
I made one for my lad he loved it and blowed the dam thing for the rest of the afternoon next time i will make something that makes no noise on a sunday afterenoon cheers outdoorsman :beerchug:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My whistle was fine until it started drying - then it developped gaps and stopped being effective - just hissing at me. I prefer Elder whistles!
John

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
John Fenna said:
My whistle was fine until it started drying - then it developped gaps and stopped being effective - just hissing at me. I prefer Elder whistles!
John

This happened to me too! Ive made 2 now and both went rubbish once they had dried! Does anyone have a tutorial on making elder whistles?

Many thanks

Jon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
1/ Get bit of green Elder.
2/ Dig out pith for most of length
3/ Cut a notch like the willow whistle in top side about 3/4" in from open end
4/ Get 1" ish bit of seasoned wood same diam as hole in Elder
5/ Shave top off the seasoned wood
6/ shove seasoned wood into hole up the Elder until the end reaches just as far as the start of the whistling notch.
7/ try it
8/ tune it by pushing the seasoned wood in/out by fractions, enlarging the amount trimmed from the top of the seasoned wood.
9/ once you are happy with the noise you are making trim the end of the whistle to fit your lip and trim off the excess seasoned wood.

Works for me!

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE