Magnificent Looking Creature

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Me and my friend found this great looking moth by a light on his house wall, what is it?
moth0014ad.jpg

moth0022jh.jpg

Thanks, Emdiesse.

aquanaut

Apr 19, 2005
Hebrides
Think eyed hawk moth is the right call - Smerinthus ocellata - which woukd be about 75-95mm normally found in england and wales in early summer although a second generation may occur in late summer. Larval food includes willow, aspen, sallow and apple. does that fit?

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Yeah. It must be that one, we saw it about mid-late summer? I just thought of showing on here yesturday :D.

I was going to say, i had sworn i had seen some blue on it, that confirms it more because the ukmoths website says it shows an intense blue and pink if prevoked.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Slightly on/off topic, but a couple of years ago i walked into our front room, and i thought my ma had hung a new souvenir on the wall. On closer inspection it was, either a moth or a butterfly, but i kid you not - it was the size of a large sourcer, and a dark blue colour, resting on the wall. Unfortunately i never had a camera handy at the time, but i do wonder what it might have been. It was the largest i have seen outside of a butterfly house. Any thoughts to it's identity ?

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Nice links Red.
I wouldn't like to say ney or yey to a particular one. It was a fairly uniform, darkish blue - at tad darker on the edges, but the sheer size of the thing !!!
It's a pity that a lot of the pics dont give you a true idea of scale, as there can't be too many in the english country side that big....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE